Fault Code when towing PO253 - Page 2 - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 15th August 2020, 06:47

Hi Rob

I think this may leave you with a dilemma. Your description above suggests and electrical issue and maybe not a mechanical issue as first thought, but why should you have an electrical issue only when towing. Doesn't really make sense. Do you have a 13 pin or 2 x 7 pin plugs on your towbar. If you have 2 x 7 pins plugs you could try towing without the grey plug connected, this will avoid the fridge and battery charging and reduce the power demand on the car. Then see if the same fault occurs.

If this is an electrical fault and only occurs when towing then you need to establish is their a fault on the caravan or is the fault on the car.

Let me know how you get on, quite interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th August 2020, 23:03

Hi Richy

Odd one isn't it. Can't find much online about that description either...

It's a single 13 pin plug on it.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was something to do with the battery charging. Not really sure where to go next with it unless I try taking it to a car electrical expert.

I did find this..

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...lerie-johnston

Worth me having a look at the wiring I think.

Just knowing where the regulator is would be a start!

Cheers
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th August 2020, 23:17

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tro...s/p0253/%3famp

This one explains it a little better i think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 21st August 2020, 12:05 Thread Starter

Hi Rob,
I haven't been on here for ages as I forgot my password and just read the posts without commenting.
Regarding the fault code when towing, after replacing the injectors, I've not had the problem since and I've been out with the caravan about six times since (ie 12 journeys) over two hours each time.
At the time I found it hard to believe that the injectors would be faulty at 50k miles, but the workshop I used also did a diagnostic and came up with injectors.
I also had the DMF replaced as I was told it was on the way out which you could here on starting as it seemed to spin for a time before firing. It now starts first time immediately.
On the electrics side, before having the injectors done, I took the car back to my tow bar fitter who checked out the circuits (2x7 pin) and found them to be good.
I also now use Redex at every fill and occassionally an ERG and DPF cleaner.
Hope this helps.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2020, 07:54

Forte do a diesel additive which was highly recommended to me by taxi drivers who used to use it periodically to keep the diesel system and injectors clean. That usually helps with injectors. Richy
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2020, 16:49 Thread Starter

Funny you mention taxis, as I was just thinking about them yesterday wondering how they get on when most of their trips are short and in traffic and like us they will have DPF's and ERG and all the usual sensors.
I'll look up this Forte's stuff and try it out as I'm on my last bottle of Redex.
Cheers.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 26th August 2020, 18:50

Thanks Gunner that's very helpful indeed.

I'm booked for a leak off test on the injectors so hopefully that's going to show one way or the other what's what.

I've been looking at other motors but nothing comes close for the price of the Antara.

Interestingly I've been using additive since I've had it to help keep it clean. I use archoil stuff...

But I guess if they've not had it for the previous 70k it's not much good now!

I might try a bottle of the system cleaner to see if that helps.

Light didn't come on when I took it for a service the other day which I thought it might have done. Some steep hills on the way back.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 26th August 2020, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Hi Rob,
I haven't been on here for ages as I forgot my password and just read the posts without commenting.
Regarding the fault code when towing, after replacing the injectors, I've not had the problem since and I've been out with the caravan about six times since (ie 12 journeys) over two hours each time.
At the time I found it hard to believe that the injectors would be faulty at 50k miles, but the workshop I used also did a diagnostic and came up with injectors.
I also had the DMF replaced as I was told it was on the way out which you could here on starting as it seemed to spin for a time before firing. It now starts first time immediately.
On the electrics side, before having the injectors done, I took the car back to my tow bar fitter who checked out the circuits (2x7 pin) and found them to be good.
I also now use Redex at every fill and occassionally an ERG and DPF cleaner.
Hope this helps.
Incidentally Gunner, how much was the DMF to do?

Many thanks
Rob
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 6th September 2020, 13:11 Thread Starter

Hi Rob,
I think from memory it was 900 or 950 done by A1 Gearboxes in St Neots .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page