Antara Owners Club banner

Steering freeplay

10K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  kevin56eb 
#1 ·
Hi

Im a newbie here,and recently bought my first Antara 2.2cdti fwd s/s.
I recently had it back to dealers for steering freeplay, apparently the universal joint on the column was worn, on a 2014 reg with 21000 on the clock.
Anyone else had issues ?
David

#3 ·
Just picked up a 63 plate with 11000 miles on the clock.
I too have noticed the play in the steering wheel. It's definitely not in the steering rack but more like wear in the steering wheel splines.
It's going back tomorrow anyway to see how good the network Q 12 month warranty is

Phil.

#4 ·
It's not something that gets reported very often on the Antara and I would have expected the universal joint coupling to be more susceptible than the steering wheel to column splines but if someone has had the wheel off for some reason and hasn't tightened it up properly then you will get looseness and wear if it's left long enough.

There was a recall for Antara steering shaft but that was a long time ago and wouldn't affect your year and model.

#6 ·
I'd like to think any issue with steering would be treated as significant so they should thoroughly investigate it and advise / repair as necessary.

First thing to do is to have them agree there is something wrong. Speak to the service advisor or the workshop foreman and show him the free play, get him to agree there is an issue. When you get the car back check it carefully yourself and see whether the free play has been fixed. If you're not happy with it then ask to see the foreman or similar person and tell him. If you're not happy don't be fobbed off, stick to your guns and don't leave the premises with the car until you are satisfied.

#8 ·
You should consider if you are happy to continue to drive it until the problem is addressed properly. Parking with the front wheel hard against the kerb might give you a better feel for it. Years ago I lost steering of an Austin Healey Frogeye; the steering column detached from the steering box without warning. It was scary at the time and all you can do is stop in a straight line as quickly as practicable. If I had been doing 70 on a motorway it would have been a different story.

#10 ·
Thought I'd just update this thread.

A new intermediate drive shaft was diagnosed and fitted at Easter. Steering all sharpened up and now no play in the wheel.

A few weeks ago it started creaking and groaning. Only a little at first, but now all the time.

Popped it into the garage on Tuesday for them to check it out. Sure enough, the part they replaced last time was faulty too. Part ordered and fitted next day, (last time it took 6 weeks to order it).
Got a call to say "we've found another problem". Creaking still there, it's now got to have a new steering rack.

With only 11k on the clock, I wasn't really expecting these kind of problems.

Phil.

#12 ·
Power steering racks can give trouble with any make of car whether it's the old fashioned hydraulic type (as the Antara has) or the modern electric motor assist which were much criticised at first but now generally accepted. None of them are cheap but must say I've never had any trouble with mine, matter of fact it drives very well.

#15 ·
Have same issue with 2014 Antara 2.2. Steering creaks especially in hot dry weather, took it to a guy who worked for Vauxhall but now on his own, he tells me its a design issue. Hot air from engine has to pass over steering rack which thats up and the knuckle joint drys out. Might answer why it isn't so bad when roads are wet!!.He put the car on the ramp for me to see, sure enough rack was too hot to touch, hopefully only needs the 2 knuckle joints on each side of the rack replacing.
Good old Vauxhall, more sh*** to deal with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.