Drivers door mirror actuator - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 28th November 2014, 19:52 Thread Starter

Does anybody know if the door/wing mirror actuator motor is available on its own or do I have to buy a full mirror? If it is, any idea of price?
Today some nice person (to55er!) took my drivers side mirror off. I collected all the bits and started a reassemble by torchlight, thought I was going to get away with it but the little ball thingy in the middle that the mirror pivots on has snapped off, glass and cover survived so I don't want to have to buy a full mirror if I can help it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 28th November 2014, 20:52
SJG

There's one on eBay now for 45 I think you could strip the part from, not ideal but I doubt you would get the bit you need for less.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 28th November 2014, 22:00 Thread Starter

Thanks I saw that, was thinking I could strip the bits out of it, I might pop in vauxhall tomorrow, but I doubt the part will be cheaper than that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 29th November 2014, 07:39

You might want to check out your local car breaker/scrapyard to see if they have any Antaras on the lot.

Antara SE Nav 184 AWD Auto. Silver/Black
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 29th November 2014, 16:23

Almost certain that the broken piece is not antara specific (unlike mirror and outer casing) a friendly breaker may be able to advise on which other, common, cars have the same innards in the mirror, and let you have one cheap with broken glass or casing.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 29th November 2014, 16:34

There was a young chap around here who enjoyed kicking mirrors off of cars. Needless to say I got stung about 400 for a replacement from Benz because that one not only moved and folded, it demisted, was self-dimming and had position memory too. The old AMG finally went BER when all the ECU's failed: money pit.

Before he destroyed it I had laboriously repaired it my self. There's like twenty tiny wires inside that had to be re-soldered or replaced plus a mechanical fix. I can do this stuff but it takes ages and I'm not cheap. Factor in my labour and overheads and yeah, probably worth 400 to fix it. So this time I cut my losses and bought a new one.

The scrap yard (eBay nowadays) is an option but usually no better condition than the one you have. No idea of the price of the Vx unit but if you factor in your time and effort, usually cheapest and least effort to replace with new, plus certainty of it working first time right.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2014, 15:58

We had the wing mirror on our last (2013) SE Nav knocked off by a passing van, the result was shattered glass and mirror hanging out by wires. Like yours, the little plastic clips that attached the glass and the little stem were broken.
The auto-chromic glass for the SE Nav variant is ~250 on its own. I tried our dealer to see if the inners (motor etc) could be replaced to save replacing the whole painted unit - Answer was no, it's a whole new wing mirror. Cost new 600 (with glass). They come pre-painted using the VIN.

After I found out the cost we went down the insurance route and had it done through an authorised body shop..

Hope that helps?

-LaZ-

Edited by: Lazarus

Antara 163PS: Bluefin Remapped to 210PS
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2020, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
We had the wing mirror on our last (2013) SE Nav knocked off by a passing van, the result was shattered glass and mirror hanging out by wires. Like yours, the little plastic clips that attached the glass and the little stem were broken.
The auto-chromic glass for the SE Nav variant is ~250 on its own. I tried our dealer to see if the inners (motor etc) could be replaced to save replacing the whole painted unit - Answer was no, it's a whole new wing mirror. Cost new 600 (with glass). They come pre-painted using the VIN.

After I found out the cost we went down the insurance route and had it done through an authorised body shop..

Hope that helps?

-LaZ-

Edited by: Lazarus
Can i just ask you if you can remember, did that affect your insurance much? I'm in the same boat and weighing options! Thanks.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th January 2020, 14:59

Hi I have a white exclusive made in 2012. When I bought the car from a second hand dealer, I didn't notice at first the the passenger mirror was the wrong colour, it was more of a cream colour and my car is white. The difference became quite noticeable especially when your aware of it. So I bought a tin of white car sprat paint from the pound shop, flatted with fine flatting paper (800 grit), masked the glass and re-sprayed the mirror. Came out looking really good and now you cannot tell the difference. If your car is white this may be an option if you can get hold of a mirror but the colour is wrong. Richy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page