Handbrake Problems - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 16th August 2014, 16:52 Thread Starter

My handbrake will not engage when the car is facing up hill , however there is no problem when the car is facing downhill. The local Vauxhall dealer has checked the brakes and have concluded that the handbrake pads need replacing.
The car is less than 2 years old and done less than 20k miles.
I cannot understand how the pads need replacing in such a short period of time when the car is fitted with an electronic handbrake , and why the handbrake engages downhill and not uphill.

Have any other members encountered this problem , and could can anyone offer any advise on how to avoid the excessive handbrake pad wear in the future , once the pads have been replaced.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 16th August 2014, 20:34

Have you looked at the thread in faults and fixes 3rd page.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 27th April 2015, 16:23

Hi Monoman,
I bought an Antara at the weekend and have faced the issue that you described below, the electronic handbrake does not want to engage when the car is facing up hill but is fine when facing down hill.

Did you find a resolution to this problem?

I called the garage 20 minutes ago and they tried telling me that you must pull the handbrake half way, press on the foot brake and then pull the handbrake up the rest of the way.....tbh....it sounds like a complete palm off but i'll test it on the way home later.

Hopefully hear from you soon.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 28th April 2015, 13:12

Hello monoman, I had exactly the same problem. The reason it engages down hill is the handbrake works off a small drum and the direction pulls onto the shoes . I was informed by the dealer that there is a small drum buried inside the disc and small brake shoes operate on this . Initially the dealer replaced the electric handbrake motor , but was not that good ,a bit inconsistant . So took it back and asked the workshop manager to come with me and try it on some hills and indeed he said it was not good enough . Said they would ask vauxhall for advice and leave car with them and they would act on that advice . 2 hours later he returned car and said they didnt know about the drum brake , but they do now and they had never had to touch a antara hand brake . In his words a very well engineered system . We took it to a 1in 5 hill near where i live and it held rock solid .
So i bit long winded getting to it ,but go back and tell the garage it as a drum .
Also question vauxhall information , i did and they told me antara definately got a small drum handbrake . My antara is a 2013 year ,so if yours is not a earlier model it should be the same ,as i dont know if it applies to the earlier ones . But as i say ask vauxhall info site .
Hope this helps ,
DUTCH .
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 1st May 2015, 21:13

Hi Dutch. What was the problem in the end with the handbrake?. What did the fridge say it was? I park my car on my drive which is on an incline. Tonight I got into the car, started it up and the car began to roll backwards with the brake on. I have found that the brake wont hold when the car is backwards on the incline but will when facing forwards. Exactly the same issue you had. Cheers AlanH
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 1st May 2015, 21:14

Fridge??? Problem was...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2015, 20:08

Hi alan h.
Dutch here. The. Problem with the handbrake was dealer didn't know it works off a drum hidden in side the disc , not a expert my self but as I am led to believe you have to remove disc to get to it but it can be adjusted with disc in situ . My handbrake is now really good and indeed today it held car and caravan on a reasonable hill .
ITs hard tobelieve but dealer hadn't had to touch antara handbrake and was in the dark on it but contacted vauxhall technical and got the info and fixed it. In less than two hours . So if anyone got the syptom of handbrake holds down hill but not facing up hill it can be be adjusted no problem .
Dutch.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th May 2015, 07:37

Hi Dutch.
I take it the drum simply had to be adjusted rather than a new motor?. I've got the car booked into the dealership Tuesday morning. I will keep you updated.
Alan h
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 4th May 2015, 15:47

Hi alan h,
Yes the handbrake can be adjusted without removing the disc so the workshop manager told me . But as a matter of course he said they had removed disc and checked brake shoes etc were o.k as I had complained and proven to him personally that handbrake was no good.
Alan I don't know where you live , but I live in daventry and the dealer. Is dantre garage . Their no. is 01327. 871612 , I can only say that they look after me very well and got straight on to it that day I complained . And now it is really good .
Let me know how you get on, also worth contacting vauxhall info they will also inform you .
Dutch.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 5th May 2015, 19:04

What happens if you cannot start your car how do you get the electric handbrake off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page