Handbrake Problems - Page 2 - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 5th May 2015, 21:15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rev
What happens if you cannot start your car how do you get the electric handbrake off
As Long as you have power in the battery the hand break will release you dont have to start the engine to release the handbreak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10th May 2015, 08:53

Hi Dutch.

My Antara has returned from the dealership and is now fixed. It holds backwards on my drive again. When I took it on I spoke to the workshop manager who explained Vauxhall know they have an issue with the handbrake failing. I could not believe what I was hearing. The manager could not answer when I asked why a recall has not been done. It was lucky I kept my car in gear otherwise it would have been sitting in my living room with me. I just think Vauxhall don't know what the issue is. I have been told the brakes have been adjusted but I would urge any Antara owner to always keep their car in gear when the car is parked up and left alone.
Alan
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10th May 2015, 08:54

I have always left my cars in gear, its a good habit to get into!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 17th May 2015, 20:13

Hi alan , Glad you sorted on handbrake . Just got back from towing from ilfracombe .Its a good hill out of caravan site , had to stop halfway up it .NO problem handbrake would hold the queen mary ship sort of speaking it was rock solid . Well happy with it.
Dutch.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 25th June 2015, 14:55

Hi all. Just had my auto handbrake release while I was in neutral and start stop was working. This is the third time this has happened and its booked in for diagnostics on 9th July. The dealer says the start stop can still be a little tempremental as its still a new system!! I'll keep you Informed
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 6th August 2015, 16:08

the brake will auto release if u press the accelerator
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 14th October 2015, 11:24

Guys I had the same exact issue vauxhall charged me £151 for the work and the car is still under the "life time warranty"

they saying I have to pay as it's manual adjustment not sure what to do ? any ideas
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 14th October 2015, 13:53

Mine H/Brake was not holding facing up hill but held fine facing down.
Something to do with uneven wear on the handbrake shoes, just requires a simple adjustment of the shoes apparently, I got this done F.O.C.

As the handbrake adjustment is manual it should be adjusted every year as part of the service.

If the dealer that charged you for adjusting the H/brake has also serviced your vehicle I would ask for a full refund as the handbrake should of been adjusted during the service etc.

If not then I would pursue it with the garage that carried out your last service.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 16th October 2015, 09:58
IRK

My Antara (13reg) had the same fault. My driveway facing slightly uphill and I engage the electronic handbrake twice as recommended, and also put it into first gear. However a month ago I forgot to put the car in first gear and despite the handbrake light (red) showing as being on on the dashboard, my car rolled backwards down the drive. I repeated the process again and again and got the same result! As this was the first time I had forgotten to put the car into first gear as well, I wondered how long have I been parking my car not only on my drive but elsewhere without realising that the only thing keeping it from rolling away was the fact it was in first gear? I took it to my local Vauxhall dealer, who upon repairing the problem, said it was due to my rear brakes binding, and that cleaning them has cured the problem. So far everything is alright, but what happens if my rear brakes (I did not hear any evidence that they were binding) start binding again?
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 16th October 2015, 18:38

how do handbrake shoes wear when the car is not moving when it is applied?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page