Antara Owners Club banner

Replacement Key

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  smith100s 
#1 ·
My Car, When purchased, only had one key which was a fixed blade incorporating buttons to lock and set the alarm. Thinking this would be ok, we had managed so far with swapping the keys when either my wife or I needed to use the car, however this has become a problem on several occasions when one of us goes out without the car but with the key on a key ring and then the other person can't use the car.

Recently whilst in a locksmiths I noticed that they were cutting keys for cars, I mentioned that I did not have the cars security code and asked if they could cut an additional key for my car, they said they could but would need the key and the car. I was surprised, I didn't think it was possible to get a replacement key without the security code which only Vauxhall can obtain. They also offered a plain key without buttons and a key with buttons, the cost was almost double for the button version and my wife never uses the buttons so I decided on the cheaper option.

So turned up, requested my key and them initially being a little unsure but soon worked it out after checking their mobiles, then a couple of trips to the car I ended up with a new key. They did have some kind of device, don't know what it was all seemed a bit cloak and dagger. However the new key works fine, if you double lock in the door it sets the alarm and if the alarm activates then unlocking the door cancels the alarm. Happy days for £57 quid.

Whilst I don't have the device to do this I am really curious how they managed it without the car code, does anyone know. Richy

See less See more
#2 ·
There is software that allows you to pull the encryption off the car and key then burn it into a virgin key. Its quite common now. Dealers can't do this, we have to use the SPS process and be supplied with the carcass. One benefit we do have however is we can tell the car not to recognise lost keys. Whilst this does not stop the car being manually opened since that's mechanical it will keep it immobilised.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.