Antara Owners Club banner

Both nearside windows stopped working.

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  LloydOS 
#1 ·
Hi,
On my 2.2 AWD CDTI 5 door, both nearside windows have stopped working. It has nothing to do with the child safety feature, so I took it to my local Vauxhall dealer.
They told me they had checked the fuses and the wiring loom, (as much as you can) and could not find a fault.
I was then asked to pay £80 per door for them to strip down and try to locate the problem. I left it as I feel that there may be a simpler explanation, or someone on the forum may know the answer or could give me some advice on this.
Cheers, len057.

#3 ·
Hi Richy.
Since we last spoke the car has had a new rear diff and transfer box fitted under warranty, the noise that we spoke of was in fact coming from the transfer box. Back to the windows. The windows have never been left open when raining, but the other day I pushed down on the rear nearside window switch, and to my surprise the window opened. Assuming that the problem may be a loose wire, I tried the front nearside but alas that still wont work. So I am out of ideas. It seems funny that after not working for at least two months, the rear window decides to open but the front one still remains up. Bit of a mystery.
Cheers, Len.

#4 ·
Hi Richy, me again.
Just had a thought on what you said about rain getting on the switches.
If I have driven the car, my wife has to readjust the seat, so the front door stays open while she does it. So, I am now wondering if rain water got into the nearside switches as they are the most exposed if the door is opened when raining.
I will look at that.
Cheers, Len.

#5 ·
Hi Len

Thanks for the feedback, Seems a shame but I don't think they check or change the transfer box oil on a service. Out of curiosity what was the mileage when the transfer box failed. Good job you had warranty, I know they changed the diff, but I wonder if the problem was the transfer box all along.

Richy

#6 ·
Hi Richy, you may well be correct. When they had seen the car twice, they confirmed that underneath the car no problems could be found. As the noise was getting worse, I took it back eight days later. They then told me that one of the shafts to the diff was very loose and the other slightly. I was quoted £3800 but I reminded them about the warranty.
With regard to the transfer box, I had asked them to check the oil and was told it was a sealed unit. After I told them it wasn't, they checked the oil and found it had metal particles in it. It was sent off to Vauxhall and their report stated that the metal particles were nothing to worry about. Two weeks later they had to change the transfer box.
Hay ho, that's the fun of motoring.
Cheers, Len.

#9 ·
Richy,
to give you some idea about the noise related to the transfer box.
From cold it takes about half a mile before the noise starts. keep your windows shut. the best speeds I found was to take it to 50 then allow speed to reduce down to about 30, then only touch gas peddle gently, keeping between 30/45.
The noise is a constant choo-choo-choo-choo-choo-choo.
Lets hope you never hear it. Hope this helps.
Cheers, Len.

#10 · (Edited)
Did you get the switches sorted? I had a similar issue however only one window. When we stripped the door we noticed the motor spindle position and the window regulator was out of sync. We reset these and all worked fine since. By reset I mean manually setting the motor spindle to the correct place since it was over centre. This might sort you out. This can happen with windows becoming tight into seals due to cold weather or lack of use. In my instance the previous owner was a couple so they simply never used them.

Re transfer cases im convinced that the issues are just due to poor bearings and no recommended oil changes. I chose to avoid one by going front wheel drive however if I owned one I would do regular oil changes as a min but also consider removing and replacing with better bearings and also ensuring internal bolts are threadlocked. I have seen casings smashed where bolts have worked loose resulting in catastrophic failure. Rear diffs just need oil changes although sometimes the issue is with the diff mounting bushes having too much play in them which causes consequential damage to the diff. Occasionally the rear diff i just the electronic engagement but there is nothing you can do to prevent this. Again a reason why I avoided the 4x4. Shame since its exactly what I really wanted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.