Both nearside windows stopped working. - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd October 2020, 09:45 Thread Starter

Both nearside windows stopped working.

Hi,
On my 2.2 AWD CDTI 5 door, both nearside windows have stopped working. It has nothing to do with the child safety feature, so I took it to my local Vauxhall dealer.
They told me they had checked the fuses and the wiring loom, (as much as you can) and could not find a fault.
I was then asked to pay 80 per door for them to strip down and try to locate the problem. I left it as I feel that there may be a simpler explanation, or someone on the forum may know the answer or could give me some advice on this.
Cheers, len057.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd October 2020, 18:52

Its strange how both sides stopped working. Have you got water in the switch, perhaps left the window open whilst it rained. Richy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th October 2020, 09:50 Thread Starter

Hi Richy.
Since we last spoke the car has had a new rear diff and transfer box fitted under warranty, the noise that we spoke of was in fact coming from the transfer box. Back to the windows. The windows have never been left open when raining, but the other day I pushed down on the rear nearside window switch, and to my surprise the window opened. Assuming that the problem may be a loose wire, I tried the front nearside but alas that still wont work. So I am out of ideas. It seems funny that after not working for at least two months, the rear window decides to open but the front one still remains up. Bit of a mystery.
Cheers, Len.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th October 2020, 10:00 Thread Starter

Hi Richy, me again.
Just had a thought on what you said about rain getting on the switches.
If I have driven the car, my wife has to readjust the seat, so the front door stays open while she does it. So, I am now wondering if rain water got into the nearside switches as they are the most exposed if the door is opened when raining.
I will look at that.
Cheers, Len.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th October 2020, 14:57

Hi Len

Thanks for the feedback, Seems a shame but I don't think they check or change the transfer box oil on a service. Out of curiosity what was the mileage when the transfer box failed. Good job you had warranty, I know they changed the diff, but I wonder if the problem was the transfer box all along.

Richy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th October 2020, 18:29 Thread Starter

Hi Richy, you may well be correct. When they had seen the car twice, they confirmed that underneath the car no problems could be found. As the noise was getting worse, I took it back eight days later. They then told me that one of the shafts to the diff was very loose and the other slightly. I was quoted 3800 but I reminded them about the warranty.
With regard to the transfer box, I had asked them to check the oil and was told it was a sealed unit. After I told them it wasn't, they checked the oil and found it had metal particles in it. It was sent off to Vauxhall and their report stated that the metal particles were nothing to worry about. Two weeks later they had to change the transfer box.
Hay ho, that's the fun of motoring.
Cheers, Len.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th October 2020, 18:31 Thread Starter

Richy, forgot to answer the question you asked. The mileage was 68000

Cheers, Len.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 7th October 2020, 06:33

Thanks Len
Gives me an idea as to how long mine might last, I'm at 56k at the moment. I tend to keep an ear out for Transfer box noise especially doing a lot of towing. Richy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 7th October 2020, 12:47 Thread Starter

Richy,
to give you some idea about the noise related to the transfer box.
From cold it takes about half a mile before the noise starts. keep your windows shut. the best speeds I found was to take it to 50 then allow speed to reduce down to about 30, then only touch gas peddle gently, keeping between 30/45.
The noise is a constant choo-choo-choo-choo-choo-choo.
Lets hope you never hear it. Hope this helps.
Cheers, Len.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page