Intermittant ticking noise - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 19th August 2020, 01:16 Thread Starter

Question Intermittant ticking noise

Hi guys. My 2014 2.2 CDTi has started making a strange "tick-tick-tick-tick-tick" (about 5 or 6 in about 2/3 seconds) sound from the engine when I stop at traffic lights for instance, or when it's ticking over (pardon the pun). It goes if I increase the revs slightly to 1000rpm.

It sounds a bit like you would expect an engine that's low on oil to sound, but the oil is new and at the correct level. I've also noticed the engine sounding a bit 'tractor-like' recently as well. Engine is just coming up to 80,000 miles (mostly motorway cruising) and it's regularly serviced.

The fan has also started kicking in when I've turned the engine off and I'm walking away - it goes really fast for about a minute then shuts off. It never used to do this, but now it does it most times, even when I've been doing short/slow trips. Any thoughts please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 19th August 2020, 02:49

Perhaps the car is attempting a regen. That might explain the fan running. Richy
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 20th August 2020, 16:41

Don't forget it is a chain driven engine, not an elastic band. Mine has always sounded like a tractor at tickover and after a run - it is rather reassuring. Do you follow the regen process to the letter? If you don't then there will be trouble ahead. Also, the weather has been unusually hot over the past couple of weeks and the engine might just be gasping a bit if the regen is OK. Remember that big diesels don't like short hops (e.g school/supermarket runs). They fill up with water and soot.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 26th August 2020, 19:20

Mine seems to make a distinct ticking noise which is related to the air con...
Goes when it's turned off.

I agree with Richy that the fan is likely to be a regeneration symptom.

They do get very hot when it happens. If I'm not mistaken there was a recall on the antara to remove the undertray or part because they get so hot it was at risk of fire. Hence the fan doing overtime to cool it off, even if the engine is no longer running.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 27th August 2020, 12:49

The running fan when the engine is off usually means that the regen hasn't finished. Allow about a 15 mile run at 50mph in 4th to complete a full regen from start to finish. When it is finished the fuel consumption will return to normal and when you take your foot off the throttle downhill the fuel consumption will read 999.99 mpg on the display. It is the most frustrating feature of the Antara diesel - often a waste of fuel and time and does nothing to help the environment as far I can see. I am convinced that many have ignored the process over the years, sold the cars on and let the new owners pick up the problems as a consequence.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 1st September 2020, 21:05 Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Dulac. Couple of points to raise though..........I don't have anyway of knowing when or if a regen is occurring. I have no indicator light to say it's doing it. Also, for some reason I have never had any 'BC' functions on the main panel, therefore I have no MPG or other information to help me ascertain this. I took it to a VX garage after buying it, to be told "this model doesn't have a BC function" so I'm stuck with no information from the computer whatsoever. Unless you know different, in which case I'd love to know how to get the BC function working...................

2014 2.2 Antara Diamond CDTi
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2020, 10:20

Hi Neddone
you need to determine if the noise is related to the speed of the engine. I know it stops at 1000rpm, but say the engine speed is at 500rpm is the ticking slower than at say at 900 rpm. If the tapping noise is linked to the engine speed then it is likely to be something in the engine. Say tappets.

Although the oil now is new, has the car been regularly serviced in the past?

Richy
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2020, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neddone View Post
Thanks for the input Dulac. Couple of points to raise though..........I don't have anyway of knowing when or if a regen is occurring. I have no indicator light to say it's doing it. Also, for some reason I have never had any 'BC' functions on the main panel, therefore I have no MPG or other information to help me ascertain this. I took it to a VX garage after buying it, to be told "this model doesn't have a BC function" so I'm stuck with no information from the computer whatsoever. Unless you know different, in which case I'd love to know how to get the BC function working...................
From what others have posted in the past you might find that the post-facelift Antaras were all wired the same in the factory, then various features were activated by Vauxhall depending on which model was purchased. It seemed to be a case of accessing the GM software to activate different features, usually at a VX dealer. However, there is a general belief that the dealer network doesn't know a great deal about these vehicles and it is easier to just say "No". Try the Search facility on this site and you will find out more on the subject of post-purchase activation..

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 7th September 2020, 14:22 Thread Starter

Hi @Dulac,
Thanks for your reply..............yeh, I have done a little search on the subject and you're right - there seems to be a distinct lack of knowledge or support from VX regarding the BC function! There seems to be a 'back street' collection of people that know how to do it by the looks of it, so i'll make some enquiries. I don't know why VX can't just provide the function as standard if the base functions are already installed, it's not even as though mine is a basic model...................If you know of anyone in Cornwall that can do the re-map or whatever it needs, let me know please!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 7th September 2020, 14:32 Thread Starter

Hi @Richy,
Thanks for your reply.

The ticking noise only occurs when the engine is idling. Not all the time, and not for long. For instance, I'll pull up at traffic lights, the engine will go "Tick-tick-tick tick. Tick-tick-tick-tick" quite loudly, 3 or 4 times. It will normally go away on it's own, or if I just touch the accelerator a bit and lift the engine speed up towards 1000rpm, it will go. The speed of the engine does make a difference in so much as it only does it on idling, not at higher revs.

Car is regularly serviced - full service about 15000 miles ago and oil change about 5000 miles ago. Only ever have the recommended oil put in. The oil is still clear, and not thin or black.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page