Issue with the handbrake antra 09 plate not an astra - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 19th April 2020, 20:37 Thread Starter

Issue with the handbrake antra 09 plate not an astra

My mum toke her vauxhall Astra 09 plate in to the. Local garage just over a week and half ago. They managed to get the handbrake working.I noticed this Tuesday just gone the handbrake seems to be slipping and the shoes are not holding and clamping in place propply to hold the car. The handbrake and shoes only hold if I managed to get it in the sweet spot to hold the car. Would I need to redo the handbrake shoes by turning the adjuster up by one turn to stop this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 19th April 2020, 20:41 Thread Starter

My mum toke her vauxhall Antra 09 plate in to the. Local garage just over a week and half ago. They managed to get the handbrake working.I noticed this Tuesday just gone the handbrake seems to be slipping and the shoes are not holding and clamping in place propply to hold the car. The handbrake and shoes only hold if I managed to get it in the sweet spot to hold the car. Would I need to redo the handbrake shoes by turning the adjuster up by one turn to stop this issue. Ignore the frist one I done type mistake.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 21st April 2020, 09:48

Hi Neil

i cant be a lot of help on this as I don't have a handbrake issue. I presume your referring to the electric handbrake on an Antara.
If the car has disk brakes which are used for normal stopping and the handbrake is indeed brake shoes then its unlikely the shoes have worn out as they are only normally used to keep the car stationary and not stop the car. I would therefore suggest this may have something to do with the adjustment/setup/working of the electric handbrake system including the cables which may require cleaning and lube. Sorry can't be more help. Richy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 21st April 2020, 10:04

Hi Neil

I have a pdf from my manual which deals with the parking brake. Its quite involved 37 pages, if you pm me with your email I'll send it to you. Richy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 25th April 2020, 10:46

You might visit this site, use the search facility for 'parking brake' and see Victor's excellent post about parking brake maintenance:

https://antaraowners.proboards.com/

Remember also that the OM suggests applying the brake twice when parking on an incline or towing a trailer - simple but effective.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 26th April 2020, 06:31

Very Good write up. All makes good sense referring to the drake drum.

What am I unsure if though is if any setup is required on the electric handbrake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page