DPF regen - Vauxhall Antara Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Screwball
  • 1 Post By Richy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2020, 07:55 Thread Starter

DPF regen

Took the car out for a nice spin yesterday, about 75 miles in total mainly motorway, so yeah - the active regen kicked in during the 5 miles I travelled to work last night to pick the wife up! typical. What do you guys normally do when you have to stop part way through an active regen? do you wait for the next one or go for a motorway spin? or wait for the yellow light to start flashing?

How do you usually start the regen on these? I was in 4th and 5th all the way on the motor way, keeping to around 60 to 70 mph. Whats the forum guidelines for kicking one off?

Also I was reading somewhere that a forced regen from a garage could only be done 3 or 4 times max, then it damages the DPF - any of you guys heard that anywhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2020, 08:21 Thread Starter

Reading some of the posts on here it looks like the active regen is done on a mileage basis rather than checking the % in the filter - anyone know if that is correct? if so I guess its possible that I did manage to do a passive regen during my driving yesterday and then the active still kicked in last night?

Just to point out I have no lights on the dash or anything, probs just being paranoid!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2020, 19:54

On average, a Regen occurs around every 500 miles although I have found that this decreases during hot weather. At the point I pick up that a Regen is taking place (instant consumption increases to 0.7/0.9 g/hr when idling), I reset one of the odometers in the instrument panel. This then gives a countdown when to expect the next one. It is really important to let it finish if started as if not, the extra diesel that is pumped into the DPF to get it up to temperature to burn off the particulates is dumped into the sump. Over time, this can dilute the oil and increase the oil level. It has been suggested that this is the cause of the well known sump/timing cover oil leaks

2013 SE Nav 184 Auto (now deceased)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2020, 20:14 Thread Starter

Good call on the odometers. Will give that a go so I know where I am
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 4th March 2020, 18:21 Thread Starter

Just plugged her into the diagnostics and it is showing the saturation at 88%, no warning lights on, but I guess its worth a long blast out on the motorway at the weekend. I drop the wife off at work around 7am so the roads will be nice and quiet. Looking in the book it says over 40mph and over 2000 revs, until it starts - was thinking about doing about 35miles each way, giving 70 miles in total - Although I could possibly end up doing more than that.

Although I might do the 70 mile one, then check the readings after I get back and possibly have another blast out on Sunday
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 4th March 2020, 19:08

My journey to work is 11 miles and 90% of Regens have been completed in start/stop traffic in 6-7 miles. Any time it did one on a longer trip it took a minimum of 20 miles and up to 40 minutes. I can only assume the DPF heats up quicker in traffic but gets cooled by airflow when travelling fast. Never had the DPF light come on in 4 years of motoring
geodark likes this.

2013 SE Nav 184 Auto (now deceased)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 5th March 2020, 07:16

Hi
I have now spotted the idle increase whilst doing a regen. Screwball is dead right. on my last regen I travelled to my mother in laws. its 18 miles and virtually all motorway. Motorway speed was restricted to 50mph. I was in 5th or 6th. I try to keep the revs over 1500rpm which beeps the turbo boost working.
The regen finished whilst sat outside my destination whilst the engine was on tickover. That was about 2 weeks ago. I guess its best to try to achieve 2000rpm continuously. The car hasn't done a regen since.
You cannot force the car to start a regen, its an automatic function based on miles and DPF differential pressure. I guess if one of those exceeds a preset level then the regen will start, proving something is up to temperature. If you interrupt a regen then the regen will not necessarily restart when you next travel.
Richy
geodark likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 7th March 2020, 08:21 Thread Starter

Yup, sure enough taking the wife to work this morning, 5 miles each way stop and start traffic, the regen kicked in on the way back - instant mpg went up to .6lh instead of the usual .1 and economy went out of the window. Just drove for a bit, and then had a bit of a blast out on a local A road for 10mins and by the time I got home it was back down. Stuck her on opcom - Wednesday soot was 88%, Thursday 92% and today after the regen its down to 0%! wouldnt have thought it would get that low, unless its a calculated figure and that just means it complete the regen?

At least I dont need to get the bairn up early doors tomorrow now to take him for a run out haha

This was my first regen in this after having problems when I got the car, which stopped it doing a regen - feel so much better (calmer) now I know exactly what to look for, and I have reset one of the odometer so I can keep an eye on when its getting near 500m again

Cheers both, very much appreciated

Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page