Antara Owners Club banner

Towbar fitting DIY

18K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  Richy 
#1 ·
Hi all, Looking at fitting the towbar myself as Witter are very expensive, can anyone advise please:
1, Can the frame be fitted without removing parts of the car, i.e. bumper/exhaust ?
2, Do i have to cut into the car electrics or is there some sort of dedicated socket that a suitable electric kit will just plug into, I would like to install the black and grey 7 pin sockets ?

i am competent with general car mechanics but don't really want to start pulling my new car apart and am definitely not confident with modern car electrics.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
The tow bar can be fitted without disturbing the exhaust. The only thing that needs to be removed is the rear recovery eye.
Dedicated electrics are just plug and play for lights etc. If you want power to a caravan fridge/battery then you'll need to run a cable from the car battery to the towing electrics. This cable is also provided in the kit.

Phil.

#5 ·
Hi Smidsy,Got my tow bar and wiring kit online from phjones, Igot the 13 pin socket kit but i'm sure they do the two socket kit. The dedicated wiring kit plugs into a socket under the right rear of the car(looking from the back)They are very helpful if you have a problem. Fitted mine on the path at home and didn't even need to jack it up in about 2 hours including full electrics.

#7 ·
Hi ,I bought mine as a kit from a company in Italy via Ebay ,good price ,dedicated wiring & fast delivery . Only towbars 2 based in Umbria if I remember right. The dedicated wiring just plugs in at the back & the wiring runs up to the engine bay & terminates at the Battery ,instructions ate supplied. As for the Tow Bar you just remove the bolts from the subframe. As Swinton says a couple of hours will see it sorted.

#8 ·
Phil_L said:
The tow bar can be fitted without disturbing the exhaust. The only thing that needs to be removed is the rear recovery eye.
Dedicated electrics are just plug and play for lights etc. If you want power to a caravan fridge/battery then you'll need to run a cable from the car battery to the towing electrics. This cable is also provided in the kit.

Phil.
The bumper needs to be removed as well.

#9 ·
You don't need to take the bumper off .only the rear towing eye .
Who told you that about bumper removal .i did mine and did not remove any thing only the towing eye .
No jack needed only socket set a ring spanner it will only take about 1 1/2 hours

#10 ·
chrisg said:
Phil_L said:

Phil.
The bumper needs to be removed as well.
My bumper didn't need removing....

Phil.

#15 ·
swinton said:
You don't need to take the bumper off .only the rear towing eye .
Who told you that about bumper removal .i did mine and did not remove any thing only the towing eye .
No jack needed only socket set a ring spanner it will only take about 1 1/2 hours
Wow, didn't realise it was that easy.

I watched a Zafira towbar fitting on youtube and they removed the bumper.

#24 ·
Phil_L said:
swinton said:
There are no cuts and the bumper stays on .
Does no one believe me .i have fitted it on mine so I now
I would remover if I took it off it's the big black thing at the back
Swinton, it is only Chris who was getting a little confused mate. 👍

Phil.
Sorry, I watched a youtube on a Zafira towbar fitting and assumed bumper needs to be removed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.