New here new to Antara - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 20th November 2020, 19:51 Thread Starter

New here new to Antara

Hi all just joined this site for abit of advice really.
Looking at getting the mrs a second hand 2008 antara 2.0 Cdti manual

Itís donít just under 100k I knows it not brand new and may be a money bit but with half dealer and half independent services Iím hope it wil last awhile

Basically I know nothing about the antara I currently have a 2010 Astra 2.0 Cdti

Is there many comman problems with the car and any things to look for when buying and also are they belt or chain and what sort of time do these need changing ( I know itís got history but I rather get it changed )

Thanks for replyís
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 20th November 2020, 20:28

Hi what kind of driving is your wife doing, if its short trips running around town I would strongly advise against. Richie
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 20th November 2020, 23:10 Thread Starter

She does the school run and then to the shops and her parents everyday. And every other day or so I use it to pop say about 40 mins down the motorway she used the Astra at the moment to do the same and had no issues really apart from the dpf saying itís full but after the use on motorway itís clears up.

Are they problem cars any more than other similar cars or can they behave them selfs with abit of love ?
Thanks for your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 21st November 2020, 12:48

Hi Shauny0121

The following is my opinion

Their reputation is not great which is why they represent good value for money, until they go wrong then consider re-morgaging the house.

So this is what I think

.The 4x4 has problems with a bearing in the transfer boxes.
.Non critial spare parts are difficult to obtain, expensive and often cannot be reconditioned. eg prop shafts.
.I like to do my own car repairs, but with the exception of this forum and one other it is very difficult to obtain technical advise or documentation eg. A haynes manual does not exist. You tube clips are not always available for this car and I think Vauxhall are not particularly forward in issuing guidance to the general public.
. The manual cars typically suffer with vibration at 2000rpm, something that frustrates me.
On the plus side, its comfortable, stable, heavy and with loads of torque so makes an excellent tow car.

Personally I would advise you to avoid the 4x4, unless you plan to tow, my car can tow a caravan, without any difficulty, across a wet field.

The latter Antara cars were 2 wheel drive only and I have been recommended to me as a good car. Obviously this avoids the problematic tansfer box. Given your use the 2 wheel drive derivative would seem quite sensible and your occasional long trip should be sufficient to keep the dpf clean. Richie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page