Engine Thermostat - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 27th October 2020, 20:39 Thread Starter

Engine Thermostat

Here all,

Newbie here.

So we picked up our 2013 Antara from the dealer today only for the engine coolant light and engine to over heat 10 miles down the road. It went in to limp mode and we took it back.

The dealer has been great and very apologetic as youd imagine. They have diagnosed a stick thermostat.

Obviously, we now have concerns about the car that we have just purchased. We know that there is a certain period of time to cancel our purchase.

Has anyone had this problem and resolved it?
Were there any lasting effects?
Is it likely to go again?
Should I be asking them for anything else such as a coolant flush or to check for oil and water anywhere?

We have a 6month warranty form the dealer but Im thinking long term.

I have searched the forums so forgive me if there is an answer out there.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 28th October 2020, 07:20

Hi Mike

I'm guessing you might be worrying unnecessarily.

If the engine didn't loose any fluid, i.e. got hot but then cooled naturally and didn't actually boil up I would think you don't have a lot to worry about. Regarding the fluid, if the collant bottle is clean with antifreeze then that should be ok and may not need a flush, obviously will need topping up with fresh antifreeze when the thermostat is replaced.

Your problem might be refilling the system, Antara radiators have a vent plug on the top right hand side corner when viewed from behind. its important this is removed when refilling to remove the trapped air in the radiator. You may also need to keep an eye on the coolant bottle for a couple of weeks as gradually any trapped air in the rest of the system may dissipate and the level will need topping up.

Replacing a thermostat is not the end of the world. A good tip if it does fail closed is to open the windows and put the heat/blower on full, probably on the screen, this helps remove the heat from the engine until it can be repaired. Richy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page