New Member - Looking to Buy! - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 29th May 2020, 09:11 Thread Starter

New Member - Looking to Buy!

Hi All,

Howís it going?

So Iíve got cash ready for a second car... £7k budget.
My search criteria are, diesel, 2.0L, manual, towbar sub 50k mikes etc... Autotrader throws quite a few Antaras up.

They werenít really on my radar but the more I look the more they got the bill.

One question I have is there seems to be a fair few circa 2012 CDTI Exclusiv for sale with around 30-40k on the clock, is there a reason for this? Ie is there something that tends to fail/need replacing at this mileage?

Any tips on what to look for when test driving one?

Got my eyes on an SE AWD with 48k on the clock, got all the toys and looks ideal to tow my trailer around!

Any experiences from experienced owners would be gratefully received!

Hope youíre all well out there! 👍🚘👍

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 29th May 2020, 09:11 Thread Starter

Sub 50k mikes! Ha!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 29th May 2020, 10:05

In 2015 I was looking for a diesel 4WD to tow a 1500kg touring caravan and had never heard of an Antara. The trade reviews were not good but owners' reviews were not bad. I have been towing for 35+ years and this is the best towcar I have had. An SE Nav has more refinements than other models but nothing flash. The 2.2 diesel is meant to be better than the 2.0 and is chain driven, rather than a belt. It makes more noise as a consequence but I couldn't care less about that.

All cars of all makes have faults - some serious (in terms of expense). Having driven diesels for over 30 years the basics are:

use good quality fuel;
don't do short hops (e.g school and supermarket runs) - the engine never gets hot enough;
give it an Italian tune-up on the motorway every now and again;
change the anti-freeze and brake fluid every couple of years or so;
when an oil and filter change is done also check the diff, gearbox and transfer box fluids - very important;
look after the DPF (Diesel Particle Filter) - if previous owners have done short hops this is likely to be messed up, and expensive;
check on the recalls via Vauxhall UK - particularly starter motor cable issues, ignition switch and engine undertray;
earlier models were prone to an oil leak that was an 'engine out' job to cure properly;
transfer boxes on all AWD/4WD cars - no matter who made them - can fail if abused or neglected;
an Antara is not designed for off roading, so don't do it, but it is good for towing a trailer on wet grass;
read the OM from cover to cover - there is quite a bit of information within it.

Use the Search pages on this forum for a wealth of information concerning these under-rated vehicles, including spare wheel advice, parking brake use, etc. etc.. Also, there is another Antara forum - albeit much smaller - where similar issues are discussed if you have no luck here.

I have found Vauxhall UK and my local Vauxhall dealer to be most helpful in keeping this car in good condition. Don't be afraid to contact them.

Have fun!

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 29th May 2020, 10:14 Thread Starter

Hi, great thanks for that. Iíve got a couple on my saved list, all either CDTI Exclusiv or SE AWD models, all 2.2. Reassuring times know they have chains rather than belts, one less thing to worry about. I too donít care about the noise 👍

I will be putting 500 mainly motorway miles a week on mine so I have no worries about stretching itís legs and clearing the DPF.

Itís how the previous owners have treated them in terms of journey times/lengths that concerns me. There a nice looking 2015 white Diamond spec one near me, mileage checks out via DVLA at 20k. But thatís averaged 4K a year so may well be made up of very short journeys... is there a way to check the condition of the dpf?

Cheers
Andy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 29th May 2020, 13:23

There is a warning lamp on the dash that illuminates if the DPF is in dire need of cleaning. Provided that the car has completed its regeneration cycles (every 500 miles automatically) without being cut short before it finishes it should be OK. Mine has never illuminated in nearly five years but I only ever used Shell and lately Texaco. The DPF is critical to the performance, so be wary and I know that some Antaras (and those often chosen under the Motability scheme) are frequently used for short runs only and might best be avoided. Some say that a DPF can be professionally cleaned - at a price - but I think the ECU has to be reset with Vauxhall equipment. Again, the archive on this forum under 'DPF' is vast and very informative. You can download the Vauxhall OM for the range of Antaras online. Worth a read before you buy.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 4th June 2020, 18:50 Thread Starter

Evening All,

So Iíve found a nice one I like at Perryís in Doncaster.

Couple of things cropped up in the HPI check, one of which niggles me.

1. Outstanding Finance - Unit Stocking. Apparently this is very usual for a dealership. Done some reading and this doesnít worry me as long as a get a written undertaking that they will settle this.

2. Number plate changes. This car is now in its 4th plate. One was the original, the next definitely private, the next was on it for four days according to HPI and this one has been on it since 2015. Should I be worried about this? The mileage etc checks out with MOTs and HPI shows no adverse information about the previous registrations.

3. I asked the dealer for the V5 serial number and date of previous issue date and VIN to complete the fraud guard part of the HPI check. They supplied the VIN but say they canít provide the others as they donít have that part of the V5, only the new keeperís supplement. For some reason this worries me. Surely they should have the V5?

Iíve never bought a second hand car from a dealer so Iím not really sure on what I should expect. Any advice from experienced members gratefully received 👍

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page