Antara Owners Club banner

Handbrake release

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Bigjohnsparky 
#1 ·
my handbrake releases on a slope have taken it to garage on three times but they cannot find a fault they test it on the flat also in 2016 the main cable from battery to starter melted burning starter out they said there had been recall we did not recieve this as soon as insurance wanted to inspect it the work was done immediatly ! Has anyone else had problem with handbrake failure?

#2 ·
Is it the electric type brake?
If so, it just needs cleaning out and re-setting (balancing).

The starter motor cable is in a recall, depending on the model. Some models need a new cable, some need a new fixing nut.I think if the nut comes loose,it creates higher resistance and heat
Edited by: chrisg

#4 ·
Hi len and welcome to the forum
I have to say I think the garage has not done there job correctly adjusting the handbrake
Going back to the type handbrake that you pull up when that was correctly adjusted you only pulled it up 3 clicks but as the handbrake worn or cable stretched handbrake would pull up 8 to 9 clicks
Now going back to the electric handbrake the motor on 1st pull of electric switch would be equivalent of the manual handbrakes of 3 clicks and the 2nd pull of electric switch would that up say another 3 to 5 clicks which would in turn take up any slack in drum shoes or cable thus handbrake has not been cleaned adjusted correctly
I would say show this link to the garage so they can clean out brake drum dust and adjust the handbrake correctly so the handbrake holds as it was designed to on one pull on the electric switch
Thanks to Victor for putting the correct information on the forum with pictures re handbrake adjustment

http://www.antaraownersclub.com/forum/antara-parking-brake-adjustment-with-photos_topic3143.htmlEdited by: Bigjohnsparky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.