Antara Owners Club banner

AWD Prioty

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Tytonstu 
#1 ·
awd Ok heres one for you all, imagine this I was curious to try the AWD on my Antara so I found this good looking dune bank to climb so got my lad to step out and record it so I could watch it later. so I approached the bank ready to climb next it stop I thought this strange so I put a little more throttle down nothing happened and just suddenly the only wheel to loose traction was my rear nearside non of the others span now my question is this. Does this mean it AWD stays on only at standstill or did it split power because I thought it only engages the rear wheels when it recognise the front wheels are loosing traction? just click on the blue highlighted box to see the video clip sorry about the sound quality.Edited by: Brough76

#3 ·
I'm not an authority on four wheel drives but as I understand it, the Antara uses the Toyota system for driving the rear axle and Dulac is spot on. The Antara has much the same system as the RAV4 except they had a button to engage AWD which held it in up to 25 mph then it would auto disconnect and go back to torque sensing. The latest ones have, in Toyota jargon, Dynamic Torque Control AWD which includes pre-engaging 10% drive to the rear drive for sharper response when you select the Sport button. Both have the same electronic control of the solenoid-operated rear axle drive.

I can't see on the video but wonder if you had the offside front wheel spinning. Remember you have a diff for the front wheels (in the front transaxle) and a diff for the rear wheels (in the rear axle) so either diff will allow one wheel to spin completely if it loses grip.

#4 ·
No the front wheels did not spin Victor but its interesting on how the system copes in this situation I reckon the Crokka probaly share this system as well and it does makes sense if it does shares the same system as the Toyota on pre engaging the drive

#6 ·
That was a lot better, well done you and thanks for posting the vid! There must be a lot to throttle technique especially with the auto box (maybe it's easier with the auto box?). If those are 19" wheels with the skinnier tyres I'd imagine the smaller 17 or 18 inch wheels with bigger tyres miht be better.

Just remember to drop your tyre pressures down to about 7 psi if you're going rock crawling

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.