Format - Vauxhall Antara Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 20th July 2018, 00:54 Thread Starter

Format

Nice to see that the format has changed on my PC and mobile. Nobody told me and I don't like it. So, byeeee!

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 20th July 2018, 01:03
Administrator

Garage
Hey there

What is it you don't like about it? Or is it just the change, in general? You seem to have gotten a couple posts up before this one, so it would appear there's nothing technical wrong. Naturally there will be a bit of a learning curve, but we're here to help you find what you need

DM
andysd1 likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 20th July 2018, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulac View Post
Nice to see that the format has changed on my PC and mobile. Nobody told me and I don't like it. So, byeeee!
Aw come on Dulac, don't be like that - there's none of us likes change, I'm still trying to come to terms with Windows 10 and what happened to the My Documents folder. I'm still finding my way around the new board but I'm sure it's all for the good, probably better for the folks who access the forum with mobile phones or other platforms.

One thing I notice was when I try to insert an image I click on the icon and up pops a box asking for the image url. That's all well and good except if the image is in my Pictures folder or on a memory stick there doesn't seem to be any way to access that?

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 20th July 2018, 13:11
Groupie

Hi, Like the new format, it's more in line with other modern forums so thumbs up from me!
Admin likes this.

Antara 2014 2.4 petrol, now with cruise control
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 20th July 2018, 13:40 Thread Starter

Victor - you said it: "none of us likes change". After looking at the site last night I thought my phone and PC had gone up the creek. The link to the site no longer works, the format was far from straightforward and there was a distinct American feel to things (e.g. date format). My suspicious mind told me that the site had been acquired by another organisation. What seems to happen these days is that changes are made to websites for no good reason and the 'customer' is taken for granted and not consulted. I don't like that and I don't trust IT people. Look at TSB and John Lewis's credit card a couple of years ago. As for Windows 10 I insist on keeping Windows XP and running a 20 year old version of AutoCAD: they both work perfectly well and run very quickly without the modern-day baggage that no-one asks for, but is forced down your throat regardless.

So, you guys have been good company and very helpful to all and sundry but I think I'll call it a day. I'll keep the car though! Pip, Pip.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 20th July 2018, 14:07

Is there a reason why it has been changed? Do the website creators get a fee? Is It to bias the sponsored links/companies the support the site?

My wife says that I never listen or something like that !
2.2 diesel Diamond 63. Swift Challenger 580
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 20th July 2018, 15:24

I think we have to remember that the message board is free to join and there's no subscription fees to pay.

If the board was to disappear I'd miss the wealth of information in it about the Antara and other things discussed over the years. To that end I'd like to know if the database can be downloaded for future reference should the board ever cease to exist.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 20th July 2018, 15:32
Administrator

Garage
Hi all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
One thing I notice was when I try to insert an image I click on the icon and up pops a box asking for the image url. That's all well and good except if the image is in my Pictures folder or on a memory stick there doesn't seem to be any way to access that?
There are two functions to add images - the one you are looking at it is with the "Quick Reply" option found at the bottom of any thread page. For the upload option, you'll need to hit the "Go Advanced" button to reply (this is the same page you would get for starting a new thread as well). From here, click on the paperclip icon or use the "Manage Attachments" button in the Additional Options below.

*Noting - right now there is a directory permissions issue with the attachments. Tech has been made aware and should have this corrected soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulac View Post
Victor - you said it: "none of us likes change". After looking at the site last night I thought my phone and PC had gone up the creek. The link to the site no longer works, the format was far from straightforward and there was a distinct American feel to things (e.g. date format). My suspicious mind told me that the site had been acquired by another organisation. What seems to happen these days is that changes are made to websites for no good reason and the 'customer' is taken for granted and not consulted. I don't like that and I don't trust IT people. Look at TSB and John Lewis's credit card a couple of years ago. As for Windows 10 I insist on keeping Windows XP and running a 20 year old version of AutoCAD: they both work perfectly well and run very quickly without the modern-day baggage that no-one asks for, but is forced down your throat regardless.

So, you guys have been good company and very helpful to all and sundry but I think I'll call it a day. I'll keep the car though! Pip, Pip.
I do apologize for the shock of the changeover. Ideally we would have given you all a heads up, but obviously something went very wrong in our process. I ask that you forgive that misstep and give the new format a fighting chance. Most do find that they like it, once they find all their usual functions and settings. As you said, these guys have been good company for you. It would be a shame to lose touch for something they had no control over either.

As for the date format, this has been updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
Is there a reason why it has been changed? Do the website creators get a fee? Is It to bias the sponsored links/companies the support the site?
There are a few reasons for the change. Aside from being designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit, it also provides a better experience for mobile users, and there are many customizations available for this forum software - if you see something on another site that you think would work well here, ask us and we'll see what we can do about

DM
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 20th July 2018, 15:36

Garage
im not bothered, as long as i can keep in touch and get the relevant info i need,

saying that, if it aint broke why fix it, just get the 10mm spanner and tweak it,
Admin likes this.

The Frontera drives me nuts but the Antara keeps me sane,
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 20th July 2018, 20:24
Administrator

Garage
eventually some things will start failing if we don't make the change, with this new template, it's easier for us to to keep track up updates and changes in order to maintain the site.

Lee
andysd1 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page