Towbar electric socket - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 17th March 2018, 13:23 Thread Starter

I have reversed into the base of a lampost albeit very slowly, which was hidden from view, It has smashed the towbar electric socket, the question I have is can I just replace the socket or will I need to replace the whole of the wiring, also will I have damaged the towbar, mounting etc, as I said I was going very slow and stopped as soon as it made contact, I think the plug was hit more than the towbar, it is on a 61 plate Antara CDTI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 17th March 2018, 13:28

Just buy a new scoket and rewire it back up .you don't need to change the wiring .the tow bar should be ok if you only hit it lightly I used to hit mine regularly Edited by: swinton

2017 1.4 turbo Mokka design nav
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 17th March 2018, 15:34 Thread Starter

Thanks Swinton, I think that's what I will do, didn't know if it might have disturbed the tow bar mountings or damaged the metal, but as I was reversing slowly I thought all would be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 17th March 2018, 15:35

Depending on what towing electrics you have
Standard towing electrics fitted are electrics are spliced into the vehicle electrics ( no green tow bar light on dash when towing)
Dedicated towing electrics fitted plugged into vehicles electrics via dedicated plug under rear of vehicle ( green tow bar light comes on when towing and puts Antara in tow mode)
Replacing standard towing electrics outlet plug you can replace it with another standard plug outlet be it 13 pin or 7 pin.
But if you have dedicated towing electrics then in the outlet plug there is a switch which picks up a signal from the plug when plugged into outlet thus switching on green tow bar light on dash. If you have dedicated electrics get in contact with pfjones on eBay for a replacement plug outlet be it 13 pin or 7 pin they should be able to supply a replacement towing plug outlet. Once you have fitted wiring to new plug outlet seal cable to back of plug with silicone or Vaseline petroleum jelly
You can google the wiring colours to the pin numbers as these should be standard colour to each pin.
Or even take a pic of the wiring in the back of damaged socket so you have a reference to the wiring colour to pin set up
Pfjones link on eBay below.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F280762219134

Tow bar should be ok as only had a slight knock Edited by: Bigjohnsparky

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 17th March 2018, 15:56 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I don't have a light on the dash so I think I will just need to replace the socket, mind what you wrote made sense but I am not electrically minded so it didn't mean much to me haha
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 17th March 2018, 16:09

What plug do you have if you open the cover and count the pins inside it will have 13 pins or 7 pins inside it plus the amount of pins you have that's how many cables you have inside the back of plug

7 pin plug colours

13 pin plug colours

Good luck

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 17th March 2018, 16:46 Thread Starter

Thanks Bigjohnsparky I have a 13 pin although the only part left is the cluster of wires so I may get a vehicle electrician to do it to be on the safe side.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 17th March 2018, 16:55

It is a fairly simple job, but anyone with basic DIY skills should be able to do it. However, if you are really not good with a screwdriver then it is best to get help. To give an insight here is a YouTube link to show how it is done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4gkahSrL64

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 17th March 2018, 16:57

Be careful the wires are not touching each other or you may blow fuses .dont for get the wires are live when you turn lights ect on

2017 1.4 turbo Mokka design nav
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 17th March 2018, 19:16

Have you thought about biting the bullet and getting the dedicated electrics which is so much better re towing as depending on your model with dedicated electrics reversing sensors. Rear fog light. Are switched off and vehicle ecu is put into towing mode self levelling rear end. Ect makes the Antara tow as it does best.
Worth a thought

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page