Antara Owners Club banner

Bluetooth Phone Upgrade on Exclusive

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Richy 
#1 ·
Hi All
I was wondering what is involved to upgrade a 2.2cdti Exclusive 2012 build with a bluetooth phone connection. There is a switch on the steering wheel that looks like its for a phone but doesnt do anything. I also have the cd30 radio.

I sure that this has been mentioned before, had a quick look but cant find anything obvious on the forums.

I was considering the proper OEM upgrade and not an aftermarket solution. Is it just a change of radio to a CD40 or is it more involved like a dealership re-program. Any advise appreciated.

#2 ·
Went through this about 18 months ago. There are various options but most would cost way more than what I was willing to pay. I assume you want HFree phone calls and BT to hear calls/phone music through the speakers? Not all options, even £100+ offer that. Add-on modules will offer BT to the CD30 but not necessarily hands free for phone. Parrot do but even more money and extra hardware. You can also buy after market harnesses etc but that means getting into the dash big time. So I compromised= least effort and cheapest! :smile:

I tried uploading a couple of pics for you to see the installation but that keeps failing. The shots are well within the limits set for jpg. Anyone else having uploading problems at the moment?

For my effort you need a working Cigar Lighter & AUX port in the caddy between seats. Amazon provided the hardware (about £15) and I bought a flat double usb power adaptor for cigar lighter plus a phone cradle. Total was about £40. I added a Brodit angled mount for an extra £20 to mount the cradle on but this is not totally necessary. Works fine and quality is very passable. On the head unit select Aux as input and control your calls/music tracks using the black button (with blue light on photo I can't upload!) for which I spent some time deciding the best place to mount it. Ended up just above the unit between centre and right vent grill. Cables are all hidden and routed behind the cover over the gear selector and also has a power cable to charge phone at the cradle. If you have no Aux input then the other cheap option would be to look at FM modulators. For such little outlay thought I did OK!

Shame I can't get the photos up as you'd see the finished installation....unless I send them to you?

#3 ·
Hi Chris

Thankyou for your response.

I wanted to be able to use the phone through the car, ie answer calls with the steering wheel button and then talk and listen hands free. Not so concerned regarding making calls etc, although I guess that could still be done on the phone.

Taking the car apart is not a real concern but it does frustrate me that I have button on the steering wheel that doesn't work. I was wondering what parts do I need to make this work. Is it just a change of radio unit, you mention another wiring harness, do you know the part number, is their anything else I need, and the other big question is does the car need to be re programmed which is clearly outside of my control.

I was hoping to keep the car OEM standard and I see that it is possible to buy the CD40 unit on Ebay. Any answers to the questions above are really helpful, cheers Chris

#4 ·
Hi Richy,

Let me first send you a few photos that show you what I ended up with. This site is down for that so if you want to pm me with an address I'll forward them to you. Then decide if you want to go for something else. The installation was not difficult to do yourself and it allows you to still use the control wheel for volume and audio input (i.e Aux) selection. You do have the cigar power and aux in the central cubby right? The black button mounted near the central vents controls phone answer/hang-up/next music track. For what I paid it works very well in my opinion. It can also all be uninstalled very quickly to put the car back to its original state if necessary. The only downside is you cannot answer/hang-up phone calls from the control wheel. You press the black button (about 1" diameter) on the dash which is hardly onerous! Sat Nav audio from the phone also comes through the car speakers fine as well as your music. For the money it would be very hard to beat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.