Tuning Box Issues - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th February 2014, 12:48 Thread Starter
Groupie

I was all revved up and ready to order a tuning box for my Antara 163ps having lifted off the engine cover and discovered how easy it would be to fit it myself - then I telephoned my insurers to inform them of my intentions and to ask what additional premium there would be to pay - having checked with their underwriters they informed me that if I fitted the device myself or indeed if it was fitted by a garage, I have to provide my insurers with a document from a certified engineer that the installation has been done correctly before they will agree to cover my modified vehicle!! Have any other members had this experience and if so, how did they resolve it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th February 2014, 14:36
Super Moderator

I didnt i told them I had it and they added £16 I think. Im with Admiral
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th February 2014, 18:08
Groupie

I jnformed my insurer, who is Hatings and they added £15 to my premium after checking the web site and the chip I installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th February 2014, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul3s
I jnformed my insurer, who is Hatings and they added £15 to my premium after checking the web site and the chip I installed

Liverpool Victoria + £16 (I assume admin fee)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 28th February 2014, 09:51 Thread Starter
Groupie

Hi Jul3s,
Do you mind telling me which chip and why that particular one??
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 28th February 2014, 09:53 Thread Starter
Groupie

Hi, thx for your reply can you confirm which chip you used, price & why that one??
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 28th February 2014, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul3s

Liverpool Victoria + £16 (I assume admin fee)

£16 !! The robbing barks quoted me £50.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 28th February 2014, 15:13

hi david7 can i ask you which chip you have purchased and what you hope it will be of benefit for?
i have been looking at them especially the fuel efficiency side of it1 did say 15 percent better m p jG
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 28th February 2014, 17:34 Thread Starter
Groupie

Hi Dave & Cherie,
My first dilemma is that I haven't yet decided which tuning-box to go for (there are loads to choose from and all claim to give oodles more hp/torque plus better mpg). Some have chosen the basic Racechip box at around £100, alternatively there is a TDI Tuning box at £289 (all of these boxes intercept the data from the ECU at the diesel rail and basically fool it into delivering more fuel or so I understand) There are however those who admonish going down the ECU remap route and a popular method is the Bluefin which is a handheld device that you plug into the diagnostic port of the car, remove the existing map and replace it with a map which you download via the internet from such as Racechip. My biggest problem is that before installing any of these devices, you are obliged to declare the modification to your cars performance to your insurer - mine said it was acceptable BUT whether the device was installed by me or a garage, they would need a document from a certified engineer confirming that the installation had been done correctly before they would consider adding this to my insurance cover - the extra premium would equate to around £36 per annum. Hope I haven't confused you AND I do know that most of the tuning boxes can be self-adjusted to target more mpg or better torque etc.
Dave7 (David)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 28th February 2014, 17:46
Groupie

I put the basic racechip box in my '58 antara, cost about £117 and took 5 minutes to fit (after picture here on the forum)

I did not do it for the extra 33% Bhp, even though it is nice to have. I did it because it has given an extra 2 miles to the gallon and according to my last two brim to brim measures, I am getting 39.5 miles to the gallon, which has given me approx 2 miles to the gallon better than before.

I do 80+ miles a day and this average is slightly worse than what the on board trip computer calculates at 40.9 miles per gallon. (Other posts mentioned that there would be a difference)

The extra 2 miles per gallon has already made it pay for itself and now it is a 195 bhp tank, which I do enjoy driving

I chose the racechip as I am a novice and I wanted to give something a go that was inexpensive and easily removed if it failed. It has been serviced with it on and over the last 12 weeks can only say it is an improvement to the car

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page