engine differences between 163\184? - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 28th December 2013, 10:09 Thread Starter

Hi we have ordered a 184SE Nav only to find the dealer has ordered a 163 SE Nav does anyone know if there are any physical differences between the engines as the dealer has offered to up grade to 184 prior to registration.Edited by: m3uug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 28th December 2013, 10:55
SJG

There must be something, you would struggle to gain this increase in BHP from 163 to 184 just with engine management control, I would say a bigger Turbo but hopefull somebody else will know for sure.

My point for writting was to say DON'T do it, refuse and ask for the model you ordered and paid for, you don't want a brand new car with near 0 miles having engine parts removed, then I would assume engine management control programmes changed before you even get in it.
Your dealer is trying to pull a fast one, yes they can write it is a 184 on the registration documents but for ever and a day the chassis number is recorded on the Vauxhall systems as it was built, so before you actually sit in it the car will be modified from its original specification, every time you need an engine repair and a dealer types in your chassis number it will be looking for 163 parts or software....

You should stand up for whats right now, as soon as they have your money and you sign the documents it's all your problem from then on, politely decline the dealers kind offer ( which my suspicious mind might actually be a deliberate mistake to give you a stock car they have already) and ask for the car you ordered and have on your order sheet. A new untouched 184. If they get funny politely (keep the morel high ground) ask for your deposit back and walk away. I am confident you could find another Vauxhall dealer in the space of a half hour drive in most locations in the UK..

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 28th December 2013, 12:23 Thread Starter

Many thanks for confirming our fears,we only found out the wrong car was ordered when the order date was pushed back from Dec to Feb and the dealer gave us the ship tracking number which showed it being a 163. The upgrade will be done by factory engineers as the dealer is unable to do it which implys it is a"proper" upgrade hence my question is the engine identical
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 28th December 2013, 15:29

Hi, some members on here have fitted race chips to their cars and there is a reported increase in power. Race chip state that a 164 engine gains up to 199 bhp, so it may be possible to up-grade to 184 by the ecu alone.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 28th December 2013, 16:17
Groupie

If you are considering their offer (and I would NOT!), then what compensation are they offering?

Why would you accept the 164bhp version, when you have paid the deposit on a 184bhp version. Its their mistake and I would make them put it right and re-order you the version that you want.

All they are trying to do is get rid of a car that they will have to reduce to clear off their showroom!!!

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 28th December 2013, 18:39
SJG

I have had the luxury of tuning a few cars in the past with various methods and it is possible to get upto 30% gain on BHP with a turbo diesel (petrol engines tend to be harder to get gains) but your talking £450 plus ECU chipping and remapping etc, I'm not going to say it's not possible to get upto 199 BHP with the plug and play devise's that have been discussed before in other threads but I would have to see the rolling road results to be a true believer. And I will publicly eat humble pie for not being a first time believer and be getting one of the plug and play devices as soon as I could. . . .

For the subject in question, I stick by reject the dealers offer and ask for the car you ordered, this boloney about factory technicians doing the changes is pure bull, can you imagine asking the factory to modify a car in the factory to fulfil an order for a higher powered car the factory has yet to deliver, they would just amend the order and send the correct car. Or will 2 nice chaps from Korea turn up in the UK with a box of parts, no chance.

I would put money on, the dealer has a 163 in stock, it would arrive as a 163 with excuses of if your not happy we can upgrade it later but sign here please or we can't tax it for a month or you will loose out on a great deal, the price is going up bla bla bla, then oh dear we can't actually do an upgrade would you like some mud flaps...or on the worse side, yes we have upgraded it with the workshop magic dust and now it's a 184, I doubt you will be off to put it on a rolling road to prove the point. Please take your stance now, your dealer, nice as they maybe, want you to take the burden of their mistake and that's before you have paid, god knows what they will be like later....
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 28th December 2013, 19:40

If you are happy to receive a 163 over the 184 then don't fuss. Just make sure the final price reflects the fact that you have purchased a 164bhp.

The engine is IDENTICAL. As are the parts. There is NO difference in Turbo, fuel pump, anything!

The power output is managed by ECU software.

I have the 184 version and have purchased a bluefin handset, which modifies the ECU to over 200bhp. It does the exact SAME for the 163 variant! In fact, I wish I had saved the money, which is over £1000, on the initial purchase and gone for the 163 version - I could have then spent a mere £350 on a Bluefin unit and upgraded it to the same 200+ BHP that I have on my 184 variant!

I can only imagine the difference I would have felt going from 163 to 210 and the associated increase in Torque .... Ooh Matron! I would have also had a spare £700 to spend on sweets!

As I say, just make sure the price you are paying reflects the model received.

-LaZ-Edited by: Lazarus

Antara 163PS: Bluefin Remapped to 210PS
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 28th December 2013, 22:11 Thread Starter

Many thanks to everyone who has replied, you have all given a lot for us to think about and to discuss over the weekend. The car is still in the process of being shipped to the UK arrival scheduled for early February. We will let you know the outcome and what happens the garage have asked me to witness the Vauxhall engineers reprogramming the ECU and the increase in horsepower before they register the car as a 184 if they fail to increase power they will not sell to me but order the correct car. PS they are only charging us the cost of the 163 best regards m3uug
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 28th December 2013, 23:38

All I will say is get the one you ordered its their mistake get them to compensate you for the upset they have caused you get in touch with vauxhall customer services
Happy New year when it comes

White SE NAV 184 with charcoal grey leather three years old May 9th 2016
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 29th December 2013, 00:34
Groupie

Hi allI have just booked my antara 163BHP into superchips glenrothes for a remap on monday 30th december they tell me it will go from 163BHP to 210BHP and the cost £320 inc vat nearly 50bhp for £320 wow cant wait thats a 30% gain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page