Where is the engine air intake? - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th September 2013, 13:01 Thread Starter

I have just removed the air dam on my 2013 model because it stands a good chance of being ripped off. It is held on by 13 philips screws and two integral plastic tongues. To my surprise I found that there is an orifice leading into the engine compartment which was hidden by the air dam and protrudes below the lower engine cover. I cannot inspect it without removing this cover which I am not going to do yet, but I have a terrible suspicion that the main engine air intake is behind this orifice. Please tell me I am wrong and that no designer would be stupid enough to put a 4x4 air intake a few inches above puddle level. No wading for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th September 2013, 16:38

Sounds more likely to be a breather or overflow for something than an intake.

Banned for being an ignorant ****..
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th September 2013, 16:55

The air intake is in front of the windscreen where the wipers are.

Can you please post a picture of the front of your car after the air dam has been removed. I've been considering removing it myself, and would be interested to see how the car looks without it.

There's one thing that bothers be about removing it. That air dam is the lowest point on the car and will be the first thing to hit something or will end up like a snow plough. If it is removed, I wonder what the lowest point on the car will be. I'd probably rather the air dam hit something, and gave you a warning,than have some critical part of the car hit something.

Edited by: Inchindown

Antara SE Nav 184 AWD Auto. Silver/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th September 2013, 20:50 Thread Starter

Chum Bucket : I hope you are right!Inchindown : I mean the air intake for the engine, not the heater/ventilation air intake.If it is low down and you drive through standing water there is a good chance you will wreck the engine because water is not compressible and this is a common thing with cars which have low engine air intakes. To take off the air dam, all you need to do is unscrew 13 Philips screws with semi captive washers. It helps to drive the car onto plastic caravan ramps rasing the front.The dam has two plastic tongues which fit into the lower engine plastic undertray. Pull the dam back and it comes out easily. I took it off for the reason you outlined; that's when I found "The Orifice"! I will try and post a pic of The Orifice so an expert can tell us what it actually is for.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th September 2013, 20:56

There's no way that it will be the air intake for the engine. That will be up top somewhere with a big box that contains an "AIR FILTER"!!!

Banned for being an ignorant ****..
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th September 2013, 22:08

Does it not say in the info book for the car that you can go through 18inches of water????
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th September 2013, 22:51
Super Moderator

The air cleaner is behind the drivers side headlight and the intake pipe goes down under the headlight. Where it comes out I'm not sure without dismantling everything but to be honest the position isn't hat bad compared to many new cars. In the past I had a Nissan that had the intake next to the near side fog light which was about 6 inches off of the ground. At the time we stayed in the country on a B road that flooded all the time and it was very deep at times. I use to curse that car every time I had to travel that road.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 5th September 2013, 10:55 Thread Starter

On my old Land Rover Discovery the air intakeis at the top ofthe engine compartment. In a Dacia Duster I drove in January it was in the same position. A 4x4 should be able to traverse fords without risk.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 5th September 2013, 11:13
Super Moderator

The Antara is not a 4x4 though in the same way a landrover etc is. It's an SUV. It's not designed to go off road or through deep puddles.

It's basically an estate car which sits a bit higher off the road and has the option of part time 4x4.

The 4x4 system is never going to do any real muddy hill climbing or get you out of any real slippy situations as a Landrover would.

In theory its not any better than estate car.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 5th September 2013, 11:17 Thread Starter

In theory should it not have better ground clearance!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page