Dreaded DPF Regens - Again - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 26th June 2018, 22:57 Thread Starter

Back in August last year I had an issue with Regens happening every couple of hundred miles or less. All dealt with under warranty with the EGR cooler being replaced and a flap of some kind (must pay more attention to what the dealer told me). Everything back to normal with Regens happening at around 500 miles.
Surprise surprise, Regens at 434 miles, 384 miles and 248 miles. Back to the dealer but this time, as no codes were found, they decided to do a static forced Regen and gave me the car back. Just arrived home tonight to find the car is in mid Regen at 212 miles so off I went driving aimless miles to finish it.
Other symptoms are hesitation on low throttle and a noise that sounds like a pulley bearing gone wrong when coming off throttle and I'm sure the already awful fuel economy has got worse, especially on a longer run where I struggle to get more than 30mpg.
Has anyone else experienced anything similar and if so, what was the cause (EGR comes to mind). Car is 2013 4x4 SE Nav auto.

2013 SE Nav 184 Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 27th June 2018, 08:47

I had similar issues juddering at light throttle around 1800 to 2000 revs, frequent like you re regens, no codes and dealer who would not believe anything was wrong due to the juddering being intermittent. Finally they agreed that it must be mechanical so agreed with me that EGR valve was prime suspect. They replaced it and its seems to be fine now, normal regens and no juddering thats some 7,000 miles ago!
Edited by: volrider

2015 Antara 2.2 Exclusiv 2WD Manual 163 ps Carbon Black
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 27th June 2018, 20:26 Thread Starter

Thanks Volrider. Have raised a technical case with Vauxhall as the dealer response was 'no codes, nothing we can do'. To be fair to them, they have been great in the past.

2013 SE Nav 184 Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 27th June 2018, 21:53

I have heard this "no codes" as a "will not do anything" about it before. If your car had a worn wheel bearing you wouldn't have a code, so why does everything have to have a code before VX will do anything. Maybe just a way of getting out of warranty work.

My wife says that I never listen or something like that !
2.2 diesel Diamond 63. Swift Challenger 580
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th June 2018, 15:49

There's no code for transfer box either yet Vauxhall have done a few of them under warranty

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th June 2018, 16:33

This suggests that a warranty is designed to cover only items that can be 'coded'. Otherwise it is a matter of opinion/discretion. As my Dad used to say to me: "what criteria are used to confirm that a track rod end has worn enough to fail an MOT?" Nothing of course - it was down to the opinion of the inspector (and whether he was competent, or not).

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th June 2018, 16:59

Sadly as I have said before when I was having issues, if the computer says "no" then VX think your making it up as there is no problem!

[TUBE]hySKNcVmGJw[/TUBE]

Edited by: volrider

2015 Antara 2.2 Exclusiv 2WD Manual 163 ps Carbon Black
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th June 2018, 18:59

Too true.

My wife says that I never listen or something like that !
2.2 diesel Diamond 63. Swift Challenger 580
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th June 2018, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulac
This suggests that a warranty is designed to cover only items that can be 'coded'. Otherwise it is a matter of opinion/discretion. As my Dad used to say to me: "what criteria are used to confirm that a track rod end has worn enough to fail an MOT?" Nothing of course - it was down to the opinion of the inspector (and whether he was competent, or not).
Many a ding-dong argument about 'worn' track rod ends come MOT times Dulac, but cutting an old inner tube into strips and using these to hold the joint firmly in place definitely WILL NOT DO.

You might argue that where a worn joint affects the steering travel so that the wheels cannot turn far enough (or travel too far beyond) the manufacturers steering geometry data then that would constitute a legitimate failure. Or cause too much play in the steering wheel - if that is ever defined in the manuls.

Actually you can get ball joint measurement tools although it's mainly gauged by how much movement a grease monkey can get using a crowbar.https://www.google.co.uk/search?sa=X&q=ball%20joint%20inspection%20gauge&ve d=0ahUKEwiPqcLD6vbbAhUL2qQKHQUuD50QsKwBCJIBKAAwFQ& biw=1095&bih=520

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 29th June 2018, 09:54

Victor - sounds like the voice of experience. We must have gone to the same school - the Old one - and I surmise there are a number of ex-pupils on the forum.
You forgot the 3 foot of gas pipe on the end of the crowbar.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page