Dealer serving costs to get transfer box replaced - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2017, 10:43 Thread Starter
Groupie

Not sure which way to go with my next service.
Up to now it's got full dealer serving. But at 400+ for a service I'm reluctant to pay that.
But then comes the transfer box problem that I'll probably get at some point. If I keep up with a dealer service I may get some help towards a replacement, but how much ? Will all the services cost more than an independent fitting a box as and when needed ?

Phil.

Antara Diamond, 63 reg, 2.2, 163 Auto 4x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2017, 10:50

What a terrible state of affairs exist when 4x4 Antara owners regard the transfer box failure as "inevitable" and live in fear of it.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2017, 11:12 Thread Starter
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulac
What a terrible state of affairs exist when 4x4 Antara owners regard the transfer box failure as "inevitable" and live in fear of it.
Totally agree mate. Just facing up to facts I'm afraid 😕

Phil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2017, 12:05

I am of the same opinion as you and maintain the vehicle precisely as the manufacturer recommends, using the Vauxhall network. I bought the vehicle at a reasonable price and budgeted for correct maintenance. It probably costs more than the man in the railway arch but I look upon it as a form of insurance - goodwill and all that - in the event of a catastrophic failure. It is a policy that Honest John recommended when car prices started to fall a few years ago and I have stuck with it ever since. There are limits to 'cheap' and you don't get something for nothing, no matter how hard you try or how clever you think you are. If a corner can be cut it will be and this has always been the case for time immemorial.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2017, 15:00

There's no question that sticking to the manufacturers schedule and having a full main dealer service history puts you in a favourable position in the event of warranty claims but many people have found to their disappointment and anger that the manufacturer will still try to wriggle out of paying. There's been plenty of stories on here where persistence finally paid off but you shouldn't really have to do it.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2017, 15:13 Thread Starter
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor
There's no question that sticking to the manufacturers schedule and having a full main dealer service history puts you in* a favourable position in the event of warranty claims but many people have found to their disappointment and anger that the manufacturer will still try to wriggle out of paying. There's been plenty of stories on here where persistence finally paid off but you shouldn't really have to do it.
That's my thoughts on the matter too.
A guy on a caravan group I'm on is still having to pay 60% of the final bill despite having full dealer history.
Is the 60% going to be any cheaper than buying and fitting independently ?

Phil

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2017, 16:25

I doubt if he would have received a 40% discount if he didn't have the service history. Presumably the car was being driven OK before the fault became apparent and the guy had use of the vehicle? It is a complex subject and all we can expect - in the case of a premature failure of a component on a used car through an inherent defect - is to be placed in the position we were in before the failure occurred and at the minimum of inconvenience and expense. That is the basis of insurance.
If I bought some food from a supermarket and something was wrong with it the supermarket would refund or replace without question - and with a smile - then go and give their supplier a hard time and recover their losses. Same with Vauxhall and all the others I guess. It's all about profit at the end of the day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page