Antara 2,2 4x4 Fuel Filter Change - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3rd October 2017, 14:26 Thread Starter

Hello, I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if you have completed this task before, and it is detailed here.
I am new to Anatara ownership, and have searched far and wide on how to change the fuel filter on my car, I have picked up several pointers from both this site, and others, but thought I would share with you the process I experienced over the weekend.

Firstly, make sure the car is jacked up and firmly supported. I drove the front wheels up ramps, and the rear, I then jacked up and held on both axle stands and trolley jacks.

The location of the filter housing in under the passenger side rear seats, about a third of the way under the car, not the easiest place to get access to.

it is an aluminium housing with two round black plastic filters housed in it. The nut size on these filters is 27mm, and both need to be replaced about 4 years or 40k miles.

Once you have the housing in sight, it is a good idea to remove any dust or debris, and generally give it a good clean, this will stop any unwanted dirt entering the fuel system.

Using a screwdriver, undo the crosshead screw (this is plastic, so be careful), and allow some fuel to drain out. then while this is open, start to remove one of the filters.

Mine were originals, and the first time they have been changed, so the aluminium housing held onto them pretty tightly, but once moving they should come undone fairly easily.

Now at this point, I panicked a little, as the flow of diesel was much more than I expected, in fact to say it was a torrent was an understatement, so much so, that I had fears I was draining the half a tank of fuel I had in the tank, but don't panic, the housing only looks small, but holds a large amount of fuel.

The filters themselves are "held" in place at the top of the housing by a rubber seal, built into the filter itself. So once they have been undone, they don't just fall out of the housing, but have to be tugged to free them.

Once they are out of the housing, the flow of diesel will stop, apart from the odd drip.

I had to purchase the filters from Vauxhall, as the ADL filters I purchased from a Motor Factors were incorrect, there seems to be a model change for the housing, and from 2012 (mine is a 2014 Antara), the filters listed no longer fit, the new housing is about 19mm taller, so the ADL filters are too short.

To install them, again, make sure the housing is clean, and free of dirt, but don't use any cleaners in or on it while the filters are removed, just a clean lint free cloth will be OK to wipe around it. Insert the new filters, pushing them onto the pipe in the top of the housing to secure the rubber seal on the filter itself, then screw the filters back into the housing, I did this gently, so as not to break the rubber "O" ring.

Once all secured, you can then "bleed" the fuel system. To do this, you will need to have an assistant turn the ignition on and off up to 12 times to expel the air in the filter housing.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START THE CAR AT THIS POINT!

I stayed under the vehicle, while my wife turned on the ignition for the first time, you will hear the pump in the tank start, and hear fuel flowing into the housing. Once the pump stopped (after about 3 seconds), I got her to turn off the ignition.

I repeated this step 4 times, so, on, wait for pump to stop, off, on, wait for pump to stop etc.

After the 4th time, there was a rush of air from the housing, and the air returned to the tank.

We did another 4 operations, and again, another rush of air. this time I waiting about 30 seconds before repeating the process.

After about 10 operations of the ignition, the pump in the tank changed note, as the system came up to pressure, so I was fairly sure there was no more air in the housing.

At this point, I came out from under the car, and started it up (fingers crossed at this point).

The car started and ran fine.

Check for leaks while it is up in the air, and running, and if none, you have successfully changed the diesel filters.

I hope this topic proves useful to anyone wanting or willing to change their diesel filters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3rd October 2017, 18:24

Great write up and some very interesting and practical tips for the unwary. Did you have a torque figure for tightening the filters?

I'd also like to post this link to Youtube video to supplement your post.
<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:Punctuati&#111;nKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w&#111;ntGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!-->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2ugJMh_P_8
<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<!-->

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
Old 4th October 2017, 09:12 Thread Starter

The torque figures are written on the filter caps, and I believe they are either 21nm or 27nm, but that does need to be verified, that converts to about 15 to 19 foot pounds if the figure is correct, but beware, they are plastic caps on the filters, and the housing, although bolted to the floor pan, does move about a bit when you undo, and redo the filters.
I did damage the hexagon heads of the old filters, as they are not that deep, it is easy to slip off of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4th October 2017, 09:13 Thread Starter

Yes, the video link is good too.
Old 4th October 2017, 09:40

An excellent description, thank you. I hope I never need it but it's worth printing out and keeping in the glovebox for reference.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in