P200A Fault - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12th September 2017, 17:02 Thread Starter
Groupie

Wotcha!
Due to my illness I succumbed and chucked the car in the garage. The handbrake was a simple adjust, and now works. A bit miffed about the fault code, charged for a diagnostic I already knew ( Air manifold runner) then told they couldn't fix it , main dealer only , cost thousands etc! They say it needs a new manifold, I'm guessing this all EGR related too! New manifold , really ? Its a 2013 on 30, 000.
Suggestions ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12th September 2017, 19:17

Possibly the swirl valves in the inlet manifold Peej. What were your symptoms, was the engine surging and/or running rough between about 1500 to 2000 rpm??

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12th September 2017, 19:32 Thread Starter
Groupie

Yes it did appear to be this. It just seems lumpy ,performance varies, aand just seems flat lower down. There wasca MAF error too. Oh and the 27 mpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12th September 2017, 21:37

Intake Manifold Runner Control is supposed to be about the length of the inlet tract from the throttle box to the inlet port / valve in the cylinder head. You need a longer tract up to about 2,000 and shorter tract above that. On the Antara they control this by opening and closing the swirl flaps which in a way is cheating because induction swirl is a different thing from lengthening and shortening the length of the inlet tract. Some manufacturers actually have moveable ducts and flaps which physically achieve lengthening and shortening the inlet tract and have swirl controls in addition.

Anyway, here's a pic of the Antara inlet manifold showing the swirl flaps and the actuator for them as well as the throttle box mounting position.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12th September 2017, 21:42

Just to give you an idea of where the inlet manifold is situated, it's at the back of the engine as you look in the bay and sits underneath the EGR cooler and various other bits. So it's probably an engine out job to change it.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12th September 2017, 21:48

And just to show the manifold removed with the EGR cooler on top, also shows the EGR valve housing but not the EGR valve itself which has been removed..

Edited by: Victor

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 13th September 2017, 08:31

BMW had issues with the engine eating the swirl flaps and had a mod by which they were removed and the orifices blocked off, would a similar thing work on the Antara? Although the BMW is an hour long job no engine out. I guess if its an engine out job your looking at a huge labour charge!!

2015 Antara 2.2 Exclusiv 2WD Manual 163 ps Carbon Black
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 13th September 2017, 10:42 Thread Starter
Groupie

Thats clearer, thanks. I think it's a common diesel problem , not just manufacturer specific. I don't think the garage wanted to do it. Would these Terraclean things help you think?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 13th September 2017, 10:45 Thread Starter
Groupie

Also , yes I do believe there are mods on certain Vauxhalls to remove the flaps, but just leaving the linkage so it doesn't upset the ECU so it carries on thinking it's operating.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 13th September 2017, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by volrider
BMW had issues with the engine eating the swirl flaps and had a mod by which they were removed and the orifices blocked off, would a similar thing work on the Antara?
I've never heard of anyone removing the swirl flaps from an Antara, it would be interesting to know. I can see the point of them in an indirect fuel-injected petrol engine but in a direct fuel-injected diesel engine where (a) you're only drawing in air, not air and fuel, and (b) the pistons have combustion chambers with torroidal peak(s) in the bowl to induce swirl.

I'd like to know whether they can be removed without any negative effect but I won't be removing my inlet manifold to find out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page