Jumps out of 3rd Gear - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 14th August 2017, 14:33 Thread Starter

I have an Antara 184 SE AWD Manual in Carbon Black, which Ive had since it was 12 months old, and it is a great family car. It has been really reliable so far, only requiring service parts etc.

I had my first major breakdown a couple of weeks back, and it was a costly one!

I had just returned from a lengthy drive back from the Lakes (to Northants) and as I came off the M1 and on to the A road home, the car jumped out of 3rd gear with a bit of a bang. Obviously quite worrying but I wondered if it was because of the lengthy drive and gearbox getting hot. I limped it home and tried it again in the morning but it was still jumping out of gear under heavy acceleration. I had a sneaking suspicion that this was going to be a worn synchromesh gear.....and hence costly.

I dropped the car into the VX dealer later that day and they did a test drive. Fortunately for me, the gearbox fully packed up on the test drive and they ended up rolling it straight into the workshop. I ended up returning home in the Danetre courtesy car, which I kept for 2 weeks whilst the gearbox was rebuilt. I also had a new clutch and flywheel fitted as the gearbox was out of the car and, with 50k on the clock, it was probably worth doing.

Anyway - for those that may have a similar issue, the important thing to note was the cost, which surprised me slightly. The gearbox rebuild was £600 and the clutch/flywheel was £700. With parts and labour, the total bill came to over £2k so was one that required a stiff drink.

Hope this doesn't happen to you (the guys at the VX dealer advised that this isn't a common issue). I have since heard that the M32 gearbox has a few issues along these lines so probably one to keep an eye on.

Antara 184 SE AWD Manual in Carbon Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 14th August 2017, 15:27

Sorry to hear about your trouble and the expense it ran you. btw are you sure you have the M32 gearbox? I think it's miore likely you have the F40 box which is rated for 400 Nm engine torque, the M32 is only rated for 320.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page