2.2 CDti 6 speed manual rattle - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 6th July 2017, 21:13 Thread Starter

Good evening all,

We have a 2011 2.2 diesel with the 6 speed Manual, it started rattling a few days ago,but stopped when clutch depressed.. my instant thought was thrust bearing as was stiff selecting first gear also. Took box out (one of the worst o have ever done!!) replaced clutch and bearing, built it back up, first gear is now a lot better but still has this horrible rattle? Any ideas? My next thought is the gearbox end case bearing so hopefully I can get it off without removing the box again! Anyone else had his problem as I'm scratching my head.

Cheers for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 6th July 2017, 21:52

Welcome to the forum, Karl-1989. Prop shaft bearing?

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 6th July 2017, 21:56

It helps others if you add the car details to your personal details, to appear as a footer to every post you make. 2WD or 4x4?

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 6th July 2017, 22:21 Thread Starter

It's a 4x4 mate and doing it on tickover so think it's internal
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 6th July 2017, 23:14

I take it you replaced the dual mass flywheel Karl to take that out of the equation. So you've got a rattle at idle which goes away when you press the clutch in. It's difficult to diagnose a noise when you can't hear it but it sounds like a failed or failing bearing in the box, My guess would be the primary shaft bearing. They're taper roller bearings at the other end of the upper and lower mainshafts but don't know whether the primary shaft has a ball bearing.

You've probably got the F40 gearbox in yours, a three shaft box just like the M32. If you suspect the bearings on the main / layshafts then I'd say you would be getting whines and other noises while driving. Is the box quiet other than this rattle at idle?

Edited by: Victor

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 6th July 2017, 23:18

M32 box showing the three shafts

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 7th July 2017, 08:31 Thread Starter

Morning, cheers for the reply..

I didn't change the flywheel as couldn't see my problems with it at all when the box was out.. there's no play in it at all which surely there should be if it's failed.. and the cheapest one I could find was £1000.. no whines just this tinny rattle on tickover.. hopefully I can split the casing with the box in place to have a look

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page