Are tyres or pump rub damaging your transfer box - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 4th May 2017, 14:38 Thread Starter

https://www.amcarparts.co.uk/part/4x...auxhall/Antara

Plus a bit of info about tyre causes damage to transfer boxes

One reason I went for a full size spare 19in alloy and not a 16in or 17in steel rim. If I do need my spare don't want to put any extra strain on transfer box.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/75491/can-worn-tyres-put-enough-pressure-on-the-transfer-box-to-crack-the-casing-

Another common problem called pump rub with quick fix

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WSEEiMHbql0Edited by: Bigjohnsparky

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 4th May 2017, 18:39

BJS re the size of your spar wheel. If you've got 18" wheels on your car and you get a 17" wheel for a spare all you need to do is to fit a taller skinnier tyre to the 17" wheel to make it the same circumference as the 18" wheel. The same applies to 16" etc

The 17" wheel / tyre will turn the same number of revolutions as the 18" wheel / tyre for any given distance so there is no difference to the transmission. It's usually accepted that 50 mph would be the max speed if you're using a "skinny" spare so should be OK?

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 4th May 2017, 18:59

re the strain on the transfer box because of different size wheels /tyres, I'm not so sure on this.

The Antara has an On-Demand all wheel drive system, not a full time 4X4 system. The vehicle defaults to front wheel drive however the rear propshaft is engaged and turns all the time. The only time that rear wheel drive actually begins is when the electromagnetic clutch in the rear diff is engaged and the rear diff starts working. The amount of torque to the rear wheels is varied through the application of current to the electromagnetic clutch solenoid and is controlled by the ECU in response to the Electronic Stability Program monitoring of the system.

So there's no third diff in the transfer box, there no viscous couplings or control units in the transfer box, no 'winding up' that can be caused. Any differences in wheel or tyre size are accommodated by the normal function of the differential gears.

So I'm struggling to see how the transfer box would be adversely affected by wheel or tyre size.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 4th May 2017, 19:41 Thread Starter

I would say the same but going by the link from honestjohn it does start to make you wonder the 2013 antara had all the same size wheels and tyres but still honestjohn says uneven tyre wear can cause transfer box failure. Another cop out for warranty companies.
I think a lot of transfer box failure is down to pump rub and then transfer box then running dry causing total failure
This is why if you have a hole in the casing the box rebuild firms will not entertain the rebuild
The majority of antaras have not been off road let alone seen tyre slip engaging 4x4 system but there are a lot of GM 4x4s that have pump rub causing failure of the transfer box ?Edited by: Bigjohnsparky

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 4th May 2017, 22:35

Saw that reply on Honest John but it wasn't a qualified response. I think it's the type of question that would generate a several-page response depending on who you asked so the HJ rep just went and asked her boss and her boss asked the office boy - as the only authoritative male available - who said "Yes, definitely" and they just decided to run with that. Different on here wiv us guys innit, got to get this thing pegged out and gone over wiv a bone comb 'cos thats how we is!!!!!!

Makes me glad I got a 2 wheel drive.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 4th May 2017, 23:05 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor
Saw that reply on Honest John but it wasn't a qualified response. I think it's the type of question that would generate a several-page response depending on who you asked so the HJ rep just went and asked her boss and her boss asked the office boy - as the only authoritative male available - who said "Yes, definitely" and they just decided to run with that. Different on here wiv us guys innit, got to get this thing pegged out and gone over wiv a bone comb 'cos thats how we is!!!!!!

Makes me glad I got a 2 wheel drive.*
Yep this is why I put the link on from HJ I would have said NO that is not the correct answer lol.
But I thought that it would have been shot to pieces on this forum
As everyone who has a smaller size spare steel wheel with a bigger side wall to give the same outside rolling diameter as the standard wheel.
But early days on this one
Oh and this guy shaves his head so I haven't got any Combs

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 31st July 2017, 00:27

I don't have a spare my transfer box is shattered bearing came through the casing spare wheel is not the answer
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 31st July 2017, 10:45

Didn't you ever consider taking out an extended warranty since you car was outside the manufacturers warranty? For a little over £200 a year you could have been covered, provided you were prepared to stand the first £200 of any claim. See ths thread: <!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:Punctuati&#111;nKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w&#111;ntGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!-->http://www.antaraownersclub.com/foru...topic3381.html
<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<!-->

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page