DPF - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th June 2013, 11:46 Thread Starter

Hi, Ive not had my Antara very long and today the dreaded DPF light came on. I don't have an onboard computer so how do I tell when a regeneration is complete? The manual says do not turn the ignition off during cleaning ! How many miles do I have to drive? This is all very scary for me! I was in a bit of a panic when the light started flashing whilst I was stuck in crawling traffic - I dug the book out of the glove compartment to look it up and was horrified to read that I must start the cleaning process immediately to avoid engine damage. I was stuck in traffic and not able to get to any motorways for miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th June 2013, 12:11
Groupie

Hi Heidi
Dont panic, the light would come on, initially as a continuous light, to tell you that you need to do a regen as it has'nt managed to do one during driving, and that the DPF is filling up with soot.

The light would come on, flashing, to tell you that the DPF is nearly full and that you must do a regen soon.

If you read the forum regarding "not the DPF again" there is a load of information from the more experienced folk in the forum which should be of help to you.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th June 2013, 12:22 Thread Starter

Many thanks, will look at that! The light came on initially as constant and then within 5 minutes started flashing with a pinging sound. I had visions of the engine grinding to a halt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th June 2013, 12:40

A quick tip i found is when parking up and turn engine off u hear the outside fan running high revs it was half way thru a regen.then the next time u go out in the car give the mway run.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th June 2013, 13:17 Thread Starter

How do I know when one has finished?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th September 2013, 12:52

how do you know a regen has started and has finished?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th September 2013, 18:38

Edited by: vexorg
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th September 2013, 19:40
Groupie

The sad thing is that it would be a simple job for vauxhall to reprogramme the ecu to display the dpf light when a regen is underway .
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th September 2013, 20:00

If your car has the Board Computer, You can tell when a regeneration starts and stops by observing your instant MPG readings.
The normal indications that a regen is taking place are your instant MPG falls considerably, your coasting MPG goes to around 70 instead of 999.9 and your idling Gals Per Hour goes to around 0.7 instead of 0.1 or 0.2.

Some people also get a smell of burning, but I never have. If you stop the car in the middle of a regen you may find the fan continues to run for some time. (Don't confuse this with compressor overrun from your Climate Control System).

If you don't have a Board Computer, I have no idea how you detect a regeneration in progress.

Edited by: Inchindown

Antara SE Nav 184 AWD Auto. Silver/Black
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 15th September 2013, 20:08

The fundamental problem with active regeneration is that you are required to drive on until it is finished. This means driving past your destination for up to 15 miles as I had to do the other day. The car controls your journey every 500 miles or so. The only satisafctory solution would be to remove the DPF and reprogramme the ECU, but that would invalidate the lifetime warranty on the engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page