DPF Consequences - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th February 2017, 12:12 Thread Starter

I wonder if we are seeing - in the last few hours - the consequences of the DPF regen process being ignored by previous owners. The more I have read on this forum, the more I am convinced that to ignore the process and take frequent short hops in a large diesel Antara (and probably other cars also) causes dilution of the engine oil in the sump by surplus diesel fuel not being burnt off. The result of this being catastrophic failure of significant components, e.g. injectors, turbo and bearings. We have two cases now of members who have recently bought used Antaras with high hopes only to find worrying failures in a short time after purchase. The matter might be made worse by the ignorance of mechanics/technicians who are unaware of the diesel Antara's particular requirements on this subject. I might be wrong - these failures might be a consequence of straightforward wear and tear on a used vehicle with a high mileage and unknown history. We shall see.....

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th February 2017, 13:39

I think that your wrong with regard to technicians not aware of the issues. I'm almost sure that nearly all VX dealers know of the issues of the regen on all diesel models. Unfortunately that don't like us owners (read numpties) to know about this. I think that are given instructions to play it down and imply that any issue with a vehicle is only specific to the owners car.
I'm fortunate that I cover a lot of miles and have never had any issues with the DPF or its regen. At my last visit to a VX dealer I noticed an old couple (70 plus) being show a diesel Antara. I'm almost completely sure that this would be an inappropriate sale, if completed.
Probably only using the vehicle for short trips.

My wife says that I never listen or something like that !
2.2 diesel Diamond 63. Swift Challenger 580
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th February 2017, 14:29

To be fair to my Vauxhall Dealer, I was asked about my driving habits and made aware of the issues if driving a modern Diesel on short journeys. My daily drive is 11 miles each way and I always finish a regeneration if it has started. Car also gets a good run out at weekends but I think I am a borderline case.
My only concern is that, having driven diesels from Vauxhall and Toyota for around 15 years, the Antara is the only car where it is an issue (last car was an Insignia for 5 years without any mechanical issues)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th February 2017, 15:10 Thread Starter

chrisg - I should have referred to independent garages rather than Vauxhall dealers. To date, my dealings with the Vauxhall organisation since I bought the vehicle have been very good indeed, from the dealer who sold me the car, through Vauxhall customer services and to the dealer who now attends to it. The handbook is quite clear on the subject of the DPF.
However, prior to buying the vehicle I viewed several in different dealers under the Network Q banner. In each case the salesman had no idea of what he was trying to sell to me in terms of engine size, equipment, known faults, etc. I ended up at a VX dealer in Bedfordshire who knew his product, had carried out known recalls and basic maintenance and showed me what to do and what not to do before we drove away. Before the Antara I drove 2 litre Peugeot diesels for years and knew of the pitfalls of short hops and DPFs; it is just that the Antara is more of a rigmarole to keep sweet. It is a simple lesson but many seem to be completely unaware of the process. I also believe that good quality fuel (e.g. Shell) helps and have not used supermarket stuff for perhaps twenty years after seeing photos of a 'supermarket' cylinder head and a 'Shell' cylinder head. This was borne out when a Peugeot mechanic told me that the fuel filter was remarkably clean. Also, towing a caravan might help because it enables the engine to work harder and burn out the junk and any water.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th February 2017, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulac
I wonder if we are seeing - in the last few hours - the consequences of the DPF regen process being ignored by previous owners. The more I have read on this forum, the more I am convinced that to ignore the process and take frequent short hops in a large diesel Antara (and probably other cars also) causes dilution of the engine oil in the sump by surplus diesel fuel not being burnt off. The result of this being catastrophic failure of significant components, e.g. injectors, turbo and bearings...........

I read an industry research report which said that dilution of the engine oil by diesel fuel had surprisingly little effect on its lubrication qualities, if I can remember where I'll post the link.

The thing that concerns me (rightly or wrongly) about fuel oil dilution is that the oil will be more volatile and fuel vapours will rise in the crankcase as the engine temperature rises. I don't know whether this is connected with the oil leaks that some people experience with their Antaras but I keep on top of it and so far my sump is dry and clean.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th February 2017, 17:22 Thread Starter

Victor, you might be right regarding the report in which case diesel fuel is a lot cheaper than engine oil to lubricate the bits and pieces. I wonder who commissioned the report? However, when I had an old 2.5 litre diesel Peugeot estate it ran on 'pre-environmental' diesel fuel which had high lubricity and those parts of the engine in contact with it were slippery and virtually free from wear. Not too sure about the newish 'clean burn' stuff we are now forced to use. Also, a turbo should be allowed to idle for a minute or so after a run to allow the lubricating oil to refresh the moving parts before turning off the engine; otherwise premature failure of the turbo will occur.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th February 2017, 20:44

Good point about the diesel fuel, I can remember when it used to be a light straw colour and was a lot heavier even to pour. I buy the occasional gallon of diesel in a can and it's getting closer to looking like petrol, it's almost clear. There's not the same calorific value in it that's for sure and what with all the emission regulations they keep reducing the compression ratio of the diesels, mines is down to 16:1 from 16.3:1. Older diesels were up to 23:1 but when I think about it that was pre-turbo normally aspirated engines.

Haven't found that report about fuel dilution having little effect on the oil yet but it might have been referring to the old diesel fuel. I see there's reports about the web saying that 2 to 5% fuel dilution is bad and you should change your oil but that's from folks who make oil and want to sell you it.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th February 2017, 20:45

When I purchased my Antara in 2013 ,I had to sign a disclaimer stating that if there was a problem with the DPF or regen. then its nothing to do with VX. Thought is funny at the time, but obviously VX knew the the issues with the DFP/regens.

My wife says that I never listen or something like that !
2.2 diesel Diamond 63. Swift Challenger 580
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th July 2017, 22:44

Hi all, I am a new member and bought my 2013 Antara CDTi last year in November.Unfortunately I did not read up on this car before buying it so was not aware of the dpf regen problemswhich I am experiencing now. I live on the Isle of Man so short journeys are the norm and I am having lots of problems with my dpf regens as it is difficult to drive far enough and fast enough to get them completed. I also think I have a problem with the egr valveand this may be causing the regens to fail. I am considering removal of both the egr and the dpf as here on the Isle of Man we do not have an MOT nor any emissions legislation. Anyone out there tried this drastic measure? I appreciate that this would probably be illegal anywhere else in Europe but as I have said there are no such restrictions on the Isle of Man.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th July 2017, 23:26

I think I'll move to the Isle of Man - no emission legislation and no MOT? Sounds like motorists heaven.

The DPF on the 2.2 Antara is short coupled ie from the exhaust ports in the cylinder head there's the exhaust manifold / turbo chamber then it's srtraight into the CAT and DPF unit as opposed to the earlier Antara which had the DPF half way down the exhaust system. I've seen vids on Youtube where they remove them and drill out part of the element but still leaving enough of the filter iinside to still create enough back pressure to let the ECU think it's still doing its job but it's nowhere near needing a regen. Can't see this working for very long though because the ECU / DPF regen programme also works on a time / mileage cycle where it reckons it need a regen every 500 miles or so. Like I said in my other post, you'd probably need an ECU remap to do it properly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page