Noise when throttling off? - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th September 2016, 15:22 Thread Starter

Hi

Quite new to owning an Antara, just wondered if anyone could shed any light on what could be causing a noise that I get when throttling off to change gear, it's a throaty noise noticeable when the engine is at normal operating temp and does not happen when driving I.e under power???

No loss of performance or any other indicators
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th September 2016, 19:11

Might sound daft but have a look at the engine tray under the car its only attached at one corner on the back . Like you when you throttled off i had a throaty noise turned to to be vibration on the tray have drilled another hole and cable tied it to the cross member part it sits on has stop being so noisy now.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th September 2016, 19:24 Thread Starter

Thanks...it is booked into Vx will get the to check this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 17th December 2016, 22:58

Hi,

Did you have any luck sorting this problem, only I have a strange noise coming from my 2012 Antara when I throttle off.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 17th December 2016, 23:50 Thread Starter

It was checked at dealership but no resolution...interestingly it doesn't seem to do it in the winter months...what sort of noice are you getting?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 18th December 2016, 09:25
SJG

I am sure we could all describe a different noise, I,e mine sounds like there's a marble in a metal dish when it ticks over, I ignore it, but I have a similar noise you describe when coming off throttle and has had it since new, it could be a turbo waste gate releasing pressure as you come off the accelerator but until something fails we will never know. And for any noise / rattle taking it to Vauxhall is a total waste of your day, unless it's hanging off or the can plug in a computer and get some kind of fault code there useless at diagnostics .....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 18th December 2016, 14:23

Hi,

The noise I get is like a dry bearing somewhere, it's a metallic rubbing sound for 2 or 3 seconds after I throttle off ,I have only had the car for six weeks and it started about three weeks ago, at first it just happened at odd times but now it happens most the time when I throttle off. There is no vibration and no noise when I accelerate. I have the car booked in at Vauxhall next week and I hope they can sort it before something breaks.Will let you know what they say.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 22nd December 2016, 20:27

Hi,

Just back from Vauxhall dealer and they think the noise is coming from the Waste gate on the Turbo, although they want the car back to do further checks. However, on the way home the car started a regen and during this time the noise disappeared, will ring them tomorrow and see if this helps them trace the problem.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 22nd December 2016, 22:20
SJG

The turbo is a variable geometry turbo and I believe during the regen cycle the Vanes of the turbo are fixed at a set point , not exactly sure where (fully open or part open etc) but this will change a load of normal features so very highly likely the pressures created could be higher or lower changing the noise you hear... this was my thoughts on what I was hearing...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd December 2016, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJG
The turbo is a variable geometry turbo and I believe during the regen cycle the Vanes of the turbo are fixed at a set point , not exactly sure where (fully open or part open etc) but this will change a load of normal features so very highly likely the pressures created could be higher or lower changing the noise you hear... this was my thoughts on what I was hearing...

It would seem that the VGT turbo vanes are set fully open - at least initially - during DPF regeneration, as well as a slew of other things happening like EGR being inhibited, injection timing being retarded, heater plugs being switched on etc. But the engine control parameters can change depending on load / power demanded by the driver during the DPF regen cycle.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page