Drive belt tensioner??? - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 5th September 2016, 21:23 Thread Starter

Well my cars been at dealers since Wednesday for oil leak for the second time although it was a really small leak and what I thought sounded like gearbox chattering. They've fixed oil leak on cam chain cover without removing engine?? and they reckon the noise is drive belt tensioner?? Whats a drive belt tensioner when it's a cam chain?? Any help would be appreciated I will be phoning them Tomoz to ask but it's bugging me whilst I'm sat here pondering??!!

2.2cdti 2WD EXC, placid grey with side steps & SE wheels. I love my car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 5th September 2016, 22:41

The drivebelt they're talking about will be the fan belt to use the old term also known as the accessories drive belt, the serpentine belt (or simply the S belt). They drive the alternator, water pump, power steering pump and A/C compressor. Google serpentine belt diagrm and you'll find plenty.

They might/should run the engine briefly without the belt(s) fitted to see if the noise disappears. It's quite possible it's a noisy tensioner pulley bearing but it could also be an alternator bearing, noisy water pump, power steerig pump or A/C compressor. The alternator also has a clutch/freewheel mechanism in the pulley that can be noisy. They should be the experts to diagnose what or where the noise is coming from. Edited by: Victor

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 5th September 2016, 22:54 Thread Starter

Nice one, cheers.

2.2cdti 2WD EXC, placid grey with side steps & SE wheels. I love my car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 6th September 2016, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor
The drivebelt they're talking about will be the FAN BELT to use the old term also known as the accessories drive belt, the serpentine belt (or simply the S belt). They drive the alternator, water pump, power steering pump and A/C compressor. Google serpentine belt diagrm and you'll find plenty.

They might/should run the engine briefly without the belt(s) fitted to see if the noise disappears. It's quite possible it's a noisy tensioner pulley bearing but it could also be an alternator bearing, noisy water pump, power steerig pump or A/C compressor. The alternator also has a clutch/freewheel mechanism in the pulley that can be noisy. They should be the experts to diagnose what or where the noise is coming from.
Showing your age ? I too call it a fan belt, when in fact the fan is electrically driven. Edited by: chrisg
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 6th September 2016, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewberry
Well my cars been at dealers since Wednesday for oil leak for the second time although it was a really small leak and what I thought sounded like gearbox chattering. They've fixed oil leak on cam chain cover without removing engine?? and they reckon the noise is drive belt tensioner?? Whats a drive belt tensioner when it's a cam chain?? Any help would be appreciated I will be phoning them Tomoz to ask but it's bugging me whilst I'm sat here pondering??!!
I had the same issue and it was the gearbox chatter. Replaced under warranty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page