• 1 Post By Dulac
  • 1 Post By Victor
  • 1 Post By Andrewberry

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2016, 07:25 Thread Starter

Hi guys

just another quick question.
are antaras engines very noise?

i have parked next to a corsa, hyundai, and focus engine as the antara sounds very tractor like compard to the rest and when pulling on in 1st its very loud but the rest of the gears and when your moving 50+ the engine is quite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2016, 20:46

2.2 diesels are chain driven, not belt and this could account for noise compared to other makes.
andriyresonate5 likes this.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 3rd September 2016, 09:24
SJG

In short Yes these engines are the noisiest Diesel engines I have heard on a modern car, I have had the same moments being parked next to KIA's and Fords listening to them tick over quietly then the Antara like somebody is trying to escape from inside the engine with a hammer.
Mine seems to have good and bad days how that's possible I don't know but it will be ok issh one day then sound terrible another.
On a point of interest I did run it on She'll V-Power diesel but it made the car really harsh to drive and the engine noise actually worse so I switched to standard shell diesel and this improved both points noticeably. Maybe it imaginary or fluke but maybe the fuel grade being used makes a difference. One thing I did notice is after switching to standard diesel DPF regeneration went to 300 miles instead of 500 but completed much much quicker, again maybe fluke as it was around the time the new engine shield was fitted that I switched fuel and I personally think new software was installed to clean the DPF more frequently to prevent the failures, which was the reason for the recall on the tray in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th September 2016, 17:03

Are you sure that they have a cam chain and not belt. I thought that they have a cam belt ad it should be replaced 3yrly or 60k mls?
My car is due to have its 3yr service soon!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th September 2016, 17:19

The 2.2 litre engines are chain driven twin overhead cam engines with automatic tensioners worked by a combination of springs and oil pressure.The earlier 2 litre engines had timing belts with external belt tensioner and pulley..

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th September 2016, 17:20

2 litre are belts, 2.2 are chains

2.2cdti 2WD EXC, placid grey with side steps & SE wheels. I love my car
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th September 2016, 17:44

Thanks gents, that's one expense I will not need
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10th August 2017, 16:27

Hi, yes I have the same problem, when in first and second gear the car sounds like I am driving a tractor but once in third upwards it drives like a dream.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 8th October 2018, 17:37

Hi, Iíve just had my timing belt changed by a local garage, when I left the car with them it was running fine , not noisy at all ,now Iíve got it back itís very rattly when idling but when I increase the revs to 1000 it sounds great,no problems, any ideas would be appreciated as Iím concerned heís damaged something and palming me of ,he told me at first it was the aircon motor so I got a replacement and am now an extra four hundred pound down and still no wiser
Thanks for listening,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page