First oil leak discovered - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th August 2016, 18:48 Thread Starter
Groupie

Hi all,
I've been an antara owner for less than a week, I discovered an oil leak and would welcome any tips or ideas.
To the side of the sump to the middle of engine bay near to where the gearbox joins the engine. There is a area where two flexible pipes meet the engine housing. There is a plastic cover of sorts, the leak is coming from a small machined gap in a metal plate to the side of these two pipes. I hope this makes sense, thanks.

2009 se auto 2 litre diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th August 2016, 19:50

My engine crank oil seal was faulty and replaced under warranty ,although they were replacing the gearbox at the time.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th August 2016, 20:18

Know how you feel mine leaked in the first month of owning the Antara ! garage had to do it after a battle over the warranty. Timing case oil seal is know for leaking mine has been done along with the cover and other bits, total bill came in at over a 2 grand main dealer price. If you have it done make sure they leave it at least a day before they put oil back in as this can lead to a leak if they do the cover as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th August 2016, 21:54 Thread Starter
Groupie

Oil leaks seem to be an issue with these engines. I bought trade so no warranty. I've removed the plastic undertray, is it lined with foam to absorb oil. I've cleaned the area and in two hours is hasn't seeped through yet. I've booked it in at a good garage for engine, gearbox and diff service and came belt change, so hopefully they can determine where the leak is. I just hope it's not major.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th August 2016, 22:53

Thought it was a chain not a belt ? as for the oil leaks its well known and vauxhall know all about it !.It will more than likely be the timing cover mind was warped and had to be replaced along with the oil pipes for the turbo. Don't skip on parts as it will leak again if you scrimp on parts also if the cover is replaced make sure you leave it over night to fully set, i know of a few that have leaked again owing to the time they gave the sealer to set. Hope you get it sorted soon oil makes such a bloody mess my drive will never be the same again.
Edited by: Cava55
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th August 2016, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cava55
Know how you feel mine leaked in the first month of owning the Antara ! garage had to do it after a battle over the warranty. Timing case oil seal is know for leaking mine has been done along with the cover and other bits, total bill came in at over a 2 grand main dealer price. If you have it done make sure they leave it at least a day before they put oil back in as this can lead to a leak if they do the cover as well.

Asan advisory of future work at my last service I was quoted 9 hours work at a cost of £607.50 by a VX main dealer for resolving the timing chain cover leak.

Probably worth shopping round then if this is the case....

Jase
Now a Grandland X Owner, formerly an Antara 2.2 CDTi (2012) in Stormtrooper White owner. But don\'t hate me for it!! Lol
https://www.grandlandforums.co.uk
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th August 2016, 17:12

Was the 2ltr engine cam belt and the 2.2ltr late engine chain

2017 1.4 turbo Mokka design nav
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th August 2016, 18:17 Thread Starter
Groupie

Yes, the 2 litre is a belt, service manual says change at 60,000. I'm confused now, I removed the undertray yesterday teatime, put some clean cardboard underneath, left it all night and also at work all day. Not one drop off oil or anything else has appeared. Strange
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10th August 2016, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinton
Was the 2ltr engine cam belt and the 2.2ltr late engine chain
Mine is a 2.2 (2012)....and its a chain.

Jase
Now a Grandland X Owner, formerly an Antara 2.2 CDTi (2012) in Stormtrooper White owner. But don\'t hate me for it!! Lol
https://www.grandlandforums.co.uk
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11th August 2016, 20:52

Well i hope you have more luck with your oil leak than me, owned the car just over month and a half had the oil leak done under warranty cost over a grand. And yes in less than two weeks its back againlove the car hate the problems, could this be the shortest owner ship of a vauxhall will be if its not cured.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page