Rear Axle Squeak - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 4th July 2016, 19:44 Thread Starter

There is an audible squeaking/grating noise from the rear part of the car which increases with speed and is quite noticeable. Dabbing the brake pedal makes no difference and the noise starts without fail after the initial 50 yards or so (and only stops when the speed is reduced to walking pace). My local VX dealer thought at first it might be the parking brake, but after a first service today and a two-man road test they lifted the vehicle up for inspection and now believe it might be the differential. Fluid level is OK and they do not suspect the AWD components to be the cause. They have contacted VX for advice and I volunteered to ask the experts on the Forum as well. Has anyone else experienced this?

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 4th July 2016, 20:36

Don't know about an antara but my last car xtrail had no noise but started to make a noise then the car started to shudder. After 200 yards that was it kept locking up and rear wheels skidding. AA called they said it was rear diff, on getting it home found to be transfer box . Antara are know for transfer box problems so check that out as well as rear diff very costly otherwise.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 5th July 2016, 11:11 Thread Starter

This has been going on for a few weeks, but there is no juddering or power loss. The VX dealer confirmed that it is safe to drive and the car is under its initial 12 months' warranty. It is a minor embarrassment when driving in built-up areas because of the noise.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 5th July 2016, 17:57

Wonder if it's the propshaft bearing at the front of the diff housing?

2015 SE NAV in White
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 5th July 2016, 21:59 Thread Starter

A good suggestion, thank you and I have found a previous thread where the bearing squeaked (although the owner had hit a tree stump and caused some damage). If my VX dealer draws a blank from the VX technical people then I will suggest this to him for further investigation. The car has done about 8500 miles.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th July 2016, 15:59 Thread Starter

Clive was right. Under instructions from Vauxhall my local dealer traced the noise to the prop shaft bearing, which was apparently running dry. He lubricated it as an interim measure and the noise has disappeared. Awaiting further advice from Vauxhall via the dealer. I know there are quite a few moans on this site about various things but to date I have found both Vauxhall and my local dealer (W. J. King of Gravesend) to be pretty good at customer service and a **** sight better than the Audi dealer my son in law uses.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th July 2016, 16:22

I'd be looking for the bearing to be replaced. They're usually pre-packed with grease which is sealed in and should last a very long time. If it was squeaking/squealing then either the grtease leaked out or else it was inadequately packed in the first place.

Did they spray it with oil to lubricate it? If so that's not going to last very long. My concern would be what happens in the long term and you possibly having to fork out for a new bearing some time down the line.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th July 2016, 21:34

These bearings do have a habit of occasionally spinning within the housing i.e.the outer collar spinning due to the bearing race begining to seize and thus causing squeeking or grinding sounds.any way Dulac am really glad you seem to be getting sorted, insist on the bearing being replaced and the housing inspected for damage.

2015 SE NAV in White
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 21st July 2016, 14:19 Thread Starter

Thank you gentlemen; sound advice and I will pass on your comments should the need arise.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 1st September 2016, 18:20 Thread Starter

Since lubrication of the bearing by my local VX dealer the noise has stopped; I have done perhaps 1000 miles or so on it (including towing). VX requested the rear tyre tread depths for their records and this was done yesterday. I have recorded the fact that the bearing - or its housing - might be damaged and there has been an exchange of correspondence between my dealer and VX on the subject. I confirmed that I am not prepared to accept liability should the bearing fail within an 'unreasonable' period and the matter will be left open on the dealer's file for reference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page