Car going into limp home mode - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2016, 20:06 Thread Starter

Does anyone else have a problem with their Antera going into limp home mode while driving. this is an intermittent fault and the dealer is finding it difficult to find out what the problem is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2016, 22:11

Never heard of this on the Antara. Are any orange lights lit up?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2016, 22:19

Hi,

I have had the same issue with mine, it would happen when coasting down hill, a trio of engine/emission warning lights would come on and the car would go into limp home mode.

On most occasions putting the car quickly into neutral while driving would cause the lights extinguish and take the vehicle out of limp home mode, however this was not always the case on one occasion the vehicle went into limp home mode at the bottom of a steep hill (A68 Allensford) and couldn't make up the other side being nearly wiped out by a HGV in the process very scarry....

Had the vehicle in the dealership a few times for this even took a movie on my mobile when it happened however being a 'intermittent' fault it was never diagnosed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 25th May 2016, 14:25

Hi All
I have had a similar problem with the limp mode, but my engine temperature light and warning bleep comes on before it goes into limp mode. I have also encountered nil heat when I put the internal fan onone occasion. The VxH dealership are having problems identifying the issue and have changed the coolant temp sensor to date - this hasn't solved the problem. They are now checking coolant flow, thermostat operation and cylinder leak test. By the time they have finished, I'll have a bill bigger than the value of the car!!
I have discounted a DPF regen as although I'm recently urban driving, no DPF regen light comes on and I've carried out a manual regen in 4th gear.
Regards
Gareth
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st July 2016, 21:33

Swindog that has happened to mine the other week i got fault codes out of system which came up with timing chain fault how ever dealer cant find a problem other than a major oil leak !. It has happened twice now is yours a stop /start model ? Will hopefully find out more when i pick the car back up ! glad i am not paying the bill for the work.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd July 2016, 00:18

Cava 55Just to give you an update on my Limp home mode problem. The diagnostic check did not ID the real problem, it was just the first fault code and they decided to replace the part, with nil effect.
My problem was resolved when they checked the coolantflow and found it to be the water pump impella and after changing the pump & thermostat it has not occurred again.
In hind sight, if the garage had not relied on the computer diagnostic to do their thinking and I had given it to an old school mechanic, it would have been obvious with my symptoms. I think dealership technicians rely too heavily on computers these days instead of thinking about the symptoms/faults reported.
I'm a bit cheesed off it cost me over£800 to get the problem fixed. If anyone else has a limp home mode problem - check that your heater works when in limp home mode- if no or very little heat, it could be a pump or impella damage (which can be intermittent until it totally breaks).

Regards
Gareth
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd July 2016, 10:02

Hi Cava,
164 stop start AWD manual, dealer could not diagnose problem.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd July 2016, 18:14

Well its last chance saloon for them if it don't get fixed this time going for a full refund as they have had the motor for a week now ! keep coming up with oh it needs more parts be a new car at this rate !. very poor service from Vauxhall be the last i ever buy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page