6T50 Auto Transmission Failure - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 28th January 2016, 15:29 Thread Starter

Recently been posted on the Captiva forum, same applies to Antara.
There is a case of a 6 speed6T50 Automatic Transmission failure on a 2012 Captiva. Gearbox totally failed due to casing fracture. Cost to repair circa £10,000.00 from Vauxhall Main Dealer. Luckily for the owner he has the extended dealer warranty. This is the first case in UK of a 6T50 failure reported on a forum, normally its the earlier 6T40 and 6T45's that fail. Owner has only done 35,000 miles till failure.

Chevrolet Captiva LTZ ( 2014 )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 28th January 2016, 16:32

thanks S-M - the update is appreciated,
I couldn't find that posting but read more about the trans situation in the Captiva forums.
do we know yet if this is the same root cause? or perhaps due to something else? (mis-use for example - grasping perhaps! ha)...
lucky they had the extended lifteime warranty thingy - is that only available if purchased new? or can anyone bolt that on? (I'd be buying through a large dealer)
& how'r you getting on with 'your' auto?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 28th January 2016, 17:46 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsY3
thanks S-M - the update is appreciated,
I couldn't find that posting but read more about the trans situation in the Captiva forums.
do we know yet if this is the same root cause? or perhaps due to something else? (mis-use for example - grasping perhaps! ha)...
lucky they had the extended lifteime warranty thingy - is that only available if purchased new? or can anyone bolt that on? (I'd be buying through a large dealer)
& how'r you getting on with 'your' auto?
Seems a new root cause. 6T50's are beefed up, but till the can of worms are spilled from the poster, will not know the full story yet as just happened, but Vauxhall in this case want £10k to fix. Could be miss use, but do not think so.

Yes he has the extended warranty, it will cover all plus get a new warranty no doubt on the gearbox. Typically Chevrolet apply2 warranty packs. First Owners get either all inclusive 5 years or 3 years warranty which is transferrable to subsequent owners. Both cover absolutely everything unlike the VX Lifetime thing which has some clauses.

After 3 years for example you could extend for around £400 fully inclusive through dealer.

My auto is fine, pick up is still as good as new, but I am wary of this new issue. But like the posting owner has had the failure at 35k on a 2012 model, I am already at 32k on a 2014 model, but still well covered under the all inclusive chevvy warranty with no clauses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th January 2016, 17:40

thanks again S-M,

if this is the first breakdown on a 6T50 since they came out in 2013 then that's 2+ years without a breakdown - which is actually probably pretty good...?? dunno.

I was wondering though (probably one for another forum really) but on the auto, what rev's are you hitting at 70mph? (same question for 50mph & 60mph). my old Rover 75 auto used to 70mph at c.2300rpm - nice & low. my current Freelander revs high - 70mph at 2750rpm...

I was also wondering if anyone has ever used the gearbox additives that help maintain the 'youth' & integrity of oil seals & bearings? I realise these units are modern, but these additives are developed for use in high revving cars (m5's & s4's etc) so should be quite at home on our trucks..? & I've seen the evidence of them working on older cars. might be something to consider...

hmmm... I wonder what the chances are of getting an extended lifetime warranty from a franchise dealership... I'll ask...

have a good weekend guys.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th February 2016, 23:44 Thread Starter

Warranty has covered the supply and fit on a new transmission according to the Owner. The JD Power ratings will no doubt be on the up again for customer service with the warranty.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12th February 2016, 10:14

oh that's good news.
I wonder if the actual cause was the same old fault or bad luck/something new.
if it's the only known occurence in 'a few' years it sounds like the 6T50 is 'alright' - in general...
thank you for the update.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12th February 2016, 11:10

S-M said at the top of this page that it was gearbox casing fracture which is, I believe same failure mode as the others. No amount of additives will stop that.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12th February 2016, 13:44 Thread Starter

Other questions have been posed to GM in regard to the so called"lifetime oil " in the gearboxes.
Dealers say 5 years for an oil change. GM says lifetime.
Who is telling the truth.?
Only the Owner suffers if he/she is not in warranty and has a failure.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 15th February 2016, 10:07

'casing fracutre' isn't the 'cause', it's the result of something, (such as fatigue, overheating or impact etc); oil leaking out, & so not protecting the bearings, could be a root cause (a leak fix would help that). oil going bad (prematurely) & not protecting bearings (allowing them to overheat & seize) could be a root cause. under-engineering of the casing leaving it unable to handle torque & stresses could be a root-cause.
knowing the actual root-cause can help us collectively take preventative action.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 15th February 2016, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsY3
'casing fracutre' isn't the 'cause', it's the result of something, (such as fatigue, overheating or impact etc); oil leaking out, & so not protecting the bearings, could be a root cause (a leak fix would help that). oil going bad (prematurely) & not protecting bearings (allowing them to overheat & seize) could be a root cause. under-engineering of the casing leaving it unable to handle torque & stresses could be a root-cause.
knowing the actual root-cause can help us collectively take preventative action.

Yes I'm sure everyone appreciates that master class in Root Cause Investigation and Corrective/ Preventative Action AdamsY3. Just wondering though, is 'casing fracutre' the same as 'casing fracture?

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page