Turbo Failed - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th January 2015, 12:16 Thread Starter
Groupie

Hey all,

So the turbo has failed in my 2012 Antara, at 32k miles on the clock. All started two weeks ago, when I was driving up the hill and heard metal on metal noise as well as with the revs it went louder. I have stopped and wanted to call AA (free with insurance) to get the car to the garage. At the start I thought it was clutch cause every time I tried to drive up the hill car was struggling and when you press the clutch in the sound went away, so I switched off the engine and sat there for 10 min, then tried to give it a go again. And it just started like normal without any problem. I went home and just blamed it on the tyres, thinking it was just a wheel spin and my head it messing with me.

The next morning car the car started a bit slower then usual, which seemed like the engine was struggling. I blamed it on the cold weather, but then the revs were really low sitting around 600-700 revs on idle. Which made the engine to rattle a bit and caused the car to shake.

Booked an appointment, took a week to get one and through out that time the car had no trouble pulling away. The only thing that I was worried about was low revs in neutral. Well got it in this morning and VX mechanic took the car for a drive and said the turbo is about to go on it and needs replacement, getting it done tomorrow under warranty.

A bit surprised that the turbo went at 32k miles, but I'm happy enough with the car. Love the MPG getting around 34-36 in mixed town/motorway driving. DPF doesn't bother me at all, as I don't have the screen with MPG figures I can recognise the regen when you switch the engine off and the humming noise is still going. Found out when I just let it go for 3-4 times after town driving, the DPF light would go on after that. Hence if it does occur I take a good spin on the motorway sitting at 70 miles in 5th gear on the way to uni.

//QuZee

Edited by: QuZee

2012 Corsa Limited Edition
2012 Antara Exclusive FWD
2014 BMW X6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th January 2015, 12:27

That doesn't sound good at all! I guess nothing's perfect and that's why they give you a warranty! The fact it's now lifetime suggests they have some degree of confidence in their newer models - hopefully encouraging!

2014 Antara SE Nav
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th January 2015, 12:41 Thread Starter
Groupie

Sad thing is that the lifetime warranty was canceled as of January 2015 for new cars,

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhall/88802/vauxhall-abandons-its-lifetime-warranty-on-new-cars

As they say

"The company cites the fact that 65% of retail car sales in the UK are now finance-based, and 60% of them are PCP leases where the car is given back after three years. It therefore feels that such an extensive warranty is no longer necessary for customers. "

They always seem to come up with an excuse

Edited by: QuZee

2014 BMW X6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th January 2015, 12:45

Yeah - I'm one of the lucky ones with a late 2014 car (64 plate) where we still have it. We're on a 4 year PCP deal and will probably trade in after 3 years, but at least we know if we keep it then we're all good warranty-wise.

2014 Antara SE Nav
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th January 2015, 12:55 Thread Starter
Groupie

Mine is just on the finance, but in 2 years and 5 month I have done 32k miles and that's mostly driving to uni (90 miles return trip). So the lifetime warranty is great and that's why I have bought the Antara with some confidence over competitors on the market.

2014 BMW X6
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th January 2015, 13:50

We're doing 15k miles per annum, so probably not dissimilar to you. If we hand back we'll definitely have to pay some penalties (we didn't set the PCP at an accurate mileage), but trading in we might strike lucky depending on depreciation.

2014 Antara SE Nav
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th January 2015, 16:43

I bought my Antara 12 plate to keep so the life time warrenty is a god send!! so when i eventually pay the car off, the antara is still under warrenty!!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th January 2015, 21:18

I've bought my Antara begining October but delivered & registered end nov. Was told by salesman it's covered with lifetime warranty. Do you receive anything in writing or certificate or is the date of registration suffice if anything should need repairing?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th January 2015, 23:13

I had a letter through the post confirming the warranty maybe 4-6 weeks after I bought mine.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th January 2015, 23:27
SJG

I had warranty card (like a credit card) with details on as well...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page