Removing the filter brick inside the exhaust - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 19th January 2015, 17:46 Thread Starter

This is going to be my next move ,has anyone done this .I'm finding it ridiculous/contradicting that i have to go on a 20min run every time the car regens it's ridiculous ,25!!! mile run yesterday .Whoever designed the DPF needs shot IMO .How many cars at anyone time in the whole of the country are out on their little regen runs ,bet it would surprise you .

Little Monday rant over now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 19th January 2015, 19:09
SJG

Instant MOT failure now if the tester notices the DPF is removed, you can get the internals taken out and keep the can then get the ECU remapped to delete the DPF functions but I am confident that route would create warranty issues, any excuse...
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 19th January 2015, 21:27
Groupie

Sounds a bit extreme but I understand your sentiments, this is a design fault and Vauxhall need to address it. A brilliant car ruined by this stupid filter.

I have owned numerous Vauxhalls over the years and never had a problem like this before.

My brother in law has had a Ford Kuga for three years, when I asked him how he gets on with regens he looked at me as if I was stupid, he has NEVER had to do one in three years!!! He didn't even know what a DPF filter was.

I know some cars suffer from this but the Antara seems to be one of the worst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 19th January 2015, 21:33

Many new diesels have the same problems. Certainly Renault and Skoda do through personal experiences. The EU are to blame, it's all about lower emissions and burning more fuel to do that (Ironic isn't it). Turbo powered petrol engines are the way forward now.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 19th January 2015, 22:04
Super Moderator

Had my Antara 3 years doing mostly town commute and in those three year the dpf light has come on 3 times which meant I had to run the car until the light went out other that I drive it like any other car and dont pay any attention to the regens unless the light comes on.

According to the cars fuel computer in those 3 years and 32000 miles the car has averaged 29.7 mpg which is not bad given the type of trips it does.

People spend waaaay too long getting obsesed about the dpf and regens I couldnt even tell you how often they occur because I have never checked.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 19th January 2015, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean62
I'm finding it ridiculous/contradicting that i have to go on a 20min run every time the car regens it's ridiculous

You don't have to
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 19th January 2015, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumps
Had my Antara 3 years doing mostly town commute and in those three year the dpf light has come on 3 times which meant I had to run the car until the light went out other that I drive it like any other car and dont pay any attention to the regens unless the light comes on.

According to the cars fuel computer in those 3 years and 32000 miles the car has averaged 29.7 mpg which is not bad given the type of trips it does.

People spend waaaay too long getting obsesed about the dpf and regens I couldnt even tell you how often they occur because I have never checked.
I agree with Grumps, over 2.5 years of ownership and the light has only come on once. Entirely of my own doing, ie too many short journeys. Went down to the Med last Autumn, 2000+ miles, must have regenerated 4 times at least, never noticed one of them.
Just keep driving it, it will sort its self out.

Antara SE 184 AWD Man. Placid Grey/Black..... now tows a Compass Rallye 574
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 19th January 2015, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntaraMatt
Many new diesels have the same problems. Certainly Renault and Skoda do through personal experiences. The EU are to blame, it's all about lower emissions and burning more fuel to do that (Ironic isn't it). Turbo powered petrol engines are the way forward now.
I agree. When the makers take their readings for emission's the car is running normally and certainly not during a regen. How can this be right. I'm sure that if you average all the emission's out during a year, there's probably not much difference.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 20th January 2015, 17:38
Groupie

Appreciate what everyone is saying but if you ignore a regen the your fuel consumption goes from bad to worse, how long does it take to "drive through it"??

My car does not have a warning light for the DPF so I can only go with the "hovercraft" fans, poor consumption and loss of 999.9.........
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 20th January 2015, 17:51

Don't think any Antara has a warning light to tell you that a regen is taking place, just when you have ignored/interrupted them. The fuel consumption drops dramatically when a regen happens but as far as I know if you interrupt one the mpg returns to normal until it decides to start again. As to how long to "drive through it" I find usually about 20 miles reinstates the magic 999. At the end of the day mine just appears to get on with it.

Antara SE 184 AWD Man. Placid Grey/Black..... now tows a Compass Rallye 574

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page