Gearbox ticking ? - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12th December 2014, 18:14 Thread Starter

Hi, As mentioned yesterday I had my 1st service. I have had a ticking noise from the gearbox when warm. I suspected a bearing or possible DMF. Been back to the garage (Arnold Clark) today with the engine warm and the techie guy got his stethoscope out and listened to the gearbox. He took it into the workshop and had a chat with an other tech guy and it transpires that he thinks its the gearbox; chatter between 5th and 6th gears. They are going to replace the gearbox under warranty. I was a bit disappointed that the gearbox is faulty after only 20,000mls, BUT they are sorting this out. That was the main reason I switched from Ford and Jaguar cars.
I had issues in the past with Ford and Jaguar'sand they flatly refuse to repair items under the warranty. Short of taking them to court, what could I do. So I have voted with my feet and switch makers.
Just wondered if anyone else has a ticking in the gearbox when warm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 16th January 2015, 12:56 Thread Starter

I'm taking my car into Arnold Clarks in Stretford on Monday to have my gearbox "looked" at. I hope they might fix it as well. They are not fitting a new one,but that's ok,as long as its fixed. After my service in dec. I noticed oil dripping from underneath the car. I thought that the Techie had spilt some and not bothered to clean it up. I got the car on the ramps and took the belly pan cover off and cleaned all the oil with some brake cleaner. I have noticed that the dripping is back . I spoke to one of the guys at AC and he told me it would probably be the crankshaft oil seal (front side), as they often go!I am not happy that this was not mentioned at the service,as he must have seen it and not happy that its gone in the 1st place
I only noticed it after it had rained and there was a rainbow on the water under my car.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 16th January 2015, 14:59
Super Moderator

Let's hope you get it sorted without any drama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 16th January 2015, 15:14

Hope you get it sorted. I had oil issues with my 10 plate Astra SRi which I traded in for my Antara. Oil filter housing went and was dripping oil onto the exhaust - ended up a £370 repair... :-(
Edited by: stephenpm
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 30th January 2015, 18:22 Thread Starter

UPDATE: new gearbox on order. New crank seal fitted,all is well - or is it?Been told that the manual gearbox is a type 32 (means nothing to me) and they have had quite a few problems with this type. I am now wondering if I will need a new gearbox every 20,000 miles
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 30th January 2015, 21:26
SJG

The type M32 gearbox has been around for some years, it's fitted to the VXR Astra H and it does have some reported issues mainly with bearing failures on 5-6th gear causing a whine when cruising ( I had one in the past ), Will be interesting to confirm which gear box the Antara has....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 19th February 2015, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg
UPDATE: new gearbox on order. New crank seal fitted,all is well - or is it?Been told that the manual gearbox is a type 32 (means nothing to me) and they have had quite a few problems with this type. I am now wondering if I will need a new gearbox every 20,000 miles
M32 gearbox is a weak gearbox. 6th gear causes the problems, then 5th etc etc. The bearings are the weak point. Further if your Anatara is mapped or chippiedm this creates additional load and shorten s the life span of the gearbox. Further the M32 gearbox is fitted to all Alfa 159's with the 1.9 diesel engine, At least Alfa noticed this issue and ditched the M32 box from GMfor the F40 box from GM.

Chevrolet Captiva LTZ ( 2014 )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page