Traction Control ? - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 13th November 2014, 23:12 Thread Starter
SJG

A question to the boffins amoungst us, when in a slippy off road situation or in snow is it best to switch off the TC or leave it on to get the best out of the 4x4 system ?, prepping for the snow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 13th November 2014, 23:20

I believe it is off when wheels are slipping on wet, snow or ice. The ESC cuts engine power to prevent wheels spinning, so if already on a slippery surface you may not get engine power to drive off.

2013 SE Nav 163 Manual
\"Wot! Me?\"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 14th November 2014, 00:22
Groupie

I think it's supposed to be on there are a few videos on this on YouTube this being one below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6_mjuzK5AE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 14th November 2014, 01:30

My understanding is that if there is some grip such as patchy ice or mud TC is best left to do its stuff, but on even snow or ice it is best turned off.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 14th November 2014, 12:30

Ditto - horses for courses.
PersonallyI think Off if trying to pull away on a slippery surface where all four wheels are struggling. Once clear switch it back on & let the ECS do its thing.But regardless, its whatever worksto get you out
If you need more revs & power may be best to switch it off.

Edited by: paulfs68

2013 SE Nav 163 Manual
\"Wot! Me?\"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 25th November 2014, 02:22

I've driven several models with 'stability programs' in snow and ice and always found it is best left on. Basically that's what it is intended for.

Whenever I turned it off I immediately tried to spin in circles. If the wheel slips then it brakes that wheel so the others with can turn and you proceed pretty much as normal. If one wheel is spinning freely then the other(s) receives no power through the differential. In fact it feels so normal it is easy to forget you are on ice and the brakes are going to be utterly ineffective: drive with great care.

Trying to switch the ESC on or off whilst the car is sliding wildly is something I prefer not to do.

Turning the ESC off on a good dry road is another matter, in fact you should try it out in safe conditions to learn what it does.

If it gets really bad then fit chains but it looks like we'll be warm and wet this winter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page