4x4 System - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 7th October 2014, 14:35 Thread Starter
SJG

I have a reasonable understanding of the Antara 4x4 system but is anybody an expert and can answer :-
- engaging the system is auto controlled by a unit in the gear box, how does this operate ?
- when you get traction loss at a wheel does the system apply brake pressure to this wheel and transfer grip to another ?

I like to know how these things work..

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 7th October 2014, 18:58

I am not a expert but that is how it works . The traction control can lock a spinning wheel so you have this on front and back. The rear diff has a electronic clutch that will bring in the rear wheels if the front wheels spin this will use the ABS sensor.
The rear diff can slip if you need to turn a corner or it would feel like the brakes are on. All of this can happen very fast so in the wet you might not feel the front slip. I tow and in the wet I have never felt the front spin.
The system is only as good as the processor and software controlling it but the antara does work very well. I think the rear diff can sense a spinning wheel and lock in a 10 th of a second.
I had a mk1 freelander before the antara and that run 4x4 all the time but could slip the center clutch to turn corners but it would feel like the brakes are on so not to good in car parks. It can wear out the rear tyres and strain the drive train like gearbox and transfer box so for normal driving and towing I think the antara is just as good. The antara system can predict wheel spin when you push the throttle down hard or pull away with caravan on the back so bring in the diff before you need it. I only got yours last year so not used it in the snow yet hopefully get some this year to give it a go.
Edited by: Keeff
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 7th October 2014, 19:54

Even with all of these safety gadgets, with my Bluefin ECU re-map installed I can still make the Antara wheel-spin when taking off at a junction or from the traffic lights - It might burn off boy-racers and make me smile but, my joy lasts for mere seconds as by the time I've whacked it into second the wife's fist has usually connected with my left temple at an equal velocity

-LaZ-

Antara 163PS: Bluefin Remapped to 210PS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11th December 2014, 20:11

As far as I can work out the 4x4 is selective AWD, basically an 80:20 split most of the time but the rears come into play if and when the fronts lift and slip under acceleration and so the power gets transferred to the back where it should be. The 'differential' is a bit more than a differential drive and does separate front from rear but it is not quite the same as FWD, some power does go to the back end on demand e.g. under acceleration. At parking speeds, the RWD is essentially disengaged. The advantage is that it does not wear out the rear tyres and strain the drive train such as the gearbox and transfer box, as it infamously does in a landie.

The Viezu remap gives me a lot more than a Bluefin and the auto box always has it in the correct gear and optimum power delivery, no time lost swapping cogs. Four-wheel spin is now possible which the ESC locks down pdq, so the technique is to squeeze the throttle gently to twit up a Range Rover. I can certainly feel the rears taking charge of proceedings now even with the fronts in full contact.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11th December 2014, 21:17

Serves you right, taking miles off your tyres

White SE NAV 184 with charcoal grey leather three years old May 9th 2016

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page