Auto in drive how (how long) - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 6th October 2014, 22:39 Thread Starter
Groupie

Wondered if any member knows ,does leaving the auto box in drive do it any harm ,say at traffic lights or road works.I generally engage N or P but I've got a feeling the missis just leaves it in D.cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th October 2014, 01:34

No don't think so because I do it

White SE NAV 184 with charcoal grey leather three years old May 9th 2016
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th October 2014, 08:06

The torque converter which sits between the engine and transmission will, at tickover, prevent drive from reaching the gearbox. So as long as you do not keep revving, no harm will be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th October 2014, 08:10

I think you will cause wear on the clutch as the auto doesn't completely separate the clutch plates when you are stopped. That's why you have creep with auto boxes.
I always knock it into neutral if I'm going to be stopped for more than a few seconds.

Some automatics force the car into neutral when you stop. I remember having an auto Astra which did that.

Antara SE Nav 184 AWD Auto. Silver/Black
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th October 2014, 21:30 Thread Starter
Groupie

Many thanks for the replies, I had feeling it wasn't best to leave it in drive .The auto box is one of the antaras strong points ,it may be thirsty but silky smooth.cheers.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th October 2014, 21:54

My understanding is that most, if not all, automatics do not have clutch plates at all! What they have is a hydraulic device called a torque converter and this is what causes creep when stationary. It is this device that smoothes out what would otherwise be sudden gear changes.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th October 2014, 22:01

Ooopppps then I have to stop doing it then I have always done it with my automatics thanks next time I will just put it in park

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 8th October 2014, 02:57

Good link here from Rospa on Auto boxes with Torque convertor as fitted to Antara

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/driving/automatic-gearboxes.aspx

an extract from itStops in traffic, at junctions and at traffic lights leave the selector in D. There is no need to move into neutral, as no damage will result. You may wish to set the parking brake if the pause becomes a wait but your decision will depend on the circumstances.

I would add, This however does not apply to the vehicles with an electronic gearboxIE DSG EGC etc these have a conventional clutch or two and preselect and change gears electronically and should be treated same as a manual.

Edited by: HoneyMonster

Iain
Had a 2012 Antara SE NAv 184 Auto
Now Skoda Superb CR170 4x4 DSG Elegance Estate
Tows a Bailey Unicorn Madrid 2015
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 8th October 2014, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyMonster
Good link here from Rospa on Auto boxes with Torque convertor as fitted to Antara*

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/driving/automatic-gearboxes.aspx

an extract from it*<span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 16px;">Stops in traffic, at junctions and at traffic lights leave the selector in D. There is no need to move into neutral, as no damage will result. You may wish to set the parking brake if the pause becomes a wait but your decision will depend on the circumstances.</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 16px;">
</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 16px;">I would add, This however does not apply to the vehicles with an electronic gearboxIE DSG EGC etc these have a conventional clutch or two and preselect and change gears electronically and should be treated same as a manual.</span>
Thanks how's the car doing and more importantly how's you

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 8th October 2014, 15:40

All good by here if not just take more morphine then everything wonderful again . Car doing brilliant, just watching day time temps and once consistantly below 10 degrees throw winter tyres on.

Iain
Had a 2012 Antara SE NAv 184 Auto
Now Skoda Superb CR170 4x4 DSG Elegance Estate
Tows a Bailey Unicorn Madrid 2015

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page