Fan coming on - Page 2 - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 16th November 2013, 12:17

An essential question needs to be answered ; does an interrrupted regen restart when you restart the car? The last time I had to interrupt a regen, it started the cleaning process when I restarted the engine. If it does automatically restart the regn then we have nowt to worry about (unless there is a temperature sensor or other fault. On the other hand it may only restart the regen if their is still heat in the exhaust system, so if you left it to be stone cold it wouldn't restart. Agree with Doc - too many worries about DPF - makes me anxious! What's the highest mileage an Antara has done on the original exhaust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 28th November 2013, 16:35

In my understanding DPF regens happen automatically the only time you can do a forced regen is when DPF light comes on Interupted regens may not automatically start to regen the next time you drive the car
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 19th February 2019, 20:10

hello im new here and this alarmed me too. my fan was going like crazy after I completed a motorway run purposely keeping the revs between 2 and 2.5k. had anyone had this? no lights by the way.

love this car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 21st February 2019, 17:21

A regen is programmed to happen every 500 miles or so. When it is in progress the fuel consumption soars to painful levels, you often smell burning as the DPF is being cleaned by high temperature, the instant fuel consumption (if you have the feature) doesn't show '999.99' mpg when you take your foot off the throttle (when in motion downhill) and the auto start/stop doesn't work. When these are all functional there is no regen in progress. The fan will run on when you turn the engine off without completing the process. It will also run on if the engine is hot, as it is supposed to. Remember as well that if you have had a long drive, let the engine idle for a minute or two to let the turbo recover before turning off the ignition. Certain brands of diesel burn cleaner in the combustion chamber and emit less junk than others; it is generally a case of "you get what you pay for".

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2019, 20:46
Groupie

Garage
Only time i used to do a regen was when the stop/start stopped working,

Best to drive 4th gear keep it over 2000rpm for 10 miles,

I only had the DPF light come on once

The fan comes on when you get home, to say " hey i started a regen, Why you stop for"

I also only use Premium fuel from shell,

Wouldnt it be nice if a light came on to tell you to regen

I have gone to the other forum

http://antaraowners.proboards.com
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 5th June 2019, 19:20

My car is doing the exact same thing. 5/6 mile drive and the fan was going bats**t when I stopped the engine.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10th June 2019, 21:45

Hi In my opinion a 5/6 mile drive isn't far for a diesel. I have just pulled up today and my fan was running, my wife says it sounds like a jet engine. Having just completed a long caravan journey I would be really surprised if my DPF is blocked. The easiest way to check is if the start / stop is still working as this is disabled during a regen. I don't understand why an engine needs to be run over 2000rpm even though the manual does state this, to complete a regen the exhaust needs to be up around the 400c plus temp, my 2.2 cdti produces excellent torque from around 1500rpm plus which will elevate the exhaust temperature. I have retired now but used to own an xf 3.0 diesel which travelled 20 miles to work and back every day on the motorway revs were never over 1500rpm and I never had a dpf issue. I would not even be aware of the car doing a regen. In my opinion don't get hung up on the fan running. Just monitor the start stop system, if it stops when start stop activates you have nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page