Whining/Droning noise, from which side? Is it a wheel bearing? - Vauxhall Antara Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Victor

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 24th July 2019, 01:24 Thread Starter

Whining/Droning noise, from which side? Is it a wheel bearing?

Loud whining or droning noise, I thought from drs side front wheel bearing, so I replaced with a new one {circa 90.}

Same loud whining/droning remained, when I load the drs front wheel ie. in a left hand bend or similar, gets louder, and actually can be felt as vibe in floor, thru one's feet, but I thought, its not unusual to get a bearing go noisy when load removed, and vice versa, go almost silent when load applied, as I've come across in various French cars, Peug/Citroen, some Renault etc, so I'm about to fit earlier (removed) drs side (offside) bearing, (which I now assume to be 'good', seems perfect when I spin it off the vehicle) into passenger (nearside) housing to prove or disprove my theory, except... The damned noise is NOT coming from pass. side front wheel bearing...or that is what I firmly believe, although I will prob fit it anyway, but... My point of all this is, has anyone else had same or similar? Is there a noise that can emanate from the gearbox? Or somewhere else. And only , or mainly, when slight to heavy loading on front offside wheel... BTW, brand new Prop shaft fitted, and loads of other upkeep jobs carried out, brakes etc. I have searched the forums on here, and do not see any reference to this prob so...

Aw aye, she's a 2007 V. Antara 2.0 cdti, 150,k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 25th July 2019, 16:02

It might be the outer drive shaft support bearing which is on the drivers side.See pic for location.
Amon1 likes this.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 26th July 2019, 00:42 Thread Starter

I can't see your picture as yet, perhaps I'm not 'membered-up' enough yet to view same. If by outer d/shaft support bearing, you mean, either the CV joint at the hub end of d/shaft, or the inner CV joint at g'box end of (drivers) d/shaft, then no, these are in particularly good and sound condition, as are the same on pass. side.
But your post makes me worry about the point of connection at the g/box, on drs side, where the d/shaft attaches to the g/box itself, that longish strange looking housing part of g/box, that obviously must house at least one major bearing; Maybe this is to what you are referring; when I'm loading the drs side wheel, IE the weight of the vehicle is lying right over onto the off-side front wheel, the droning is terribly loud and travelling thru the floor, maybe it could be a bearing inside that odd-shaped housing, tho' I've shook the shaft (by hand only, on the lift) and pulled and prised the inner CV etc, and there is not a movement, other than what should be expected...and surely if there is a problem from this point on my vehicle, someone else has to have come across it before, maybe the 'box needs to be stripped or possibly worse, replacement is the only way or best way forward..BTW, all the diff oil, g'box oil etc. is in perfect shape, sooo...
Anyway Victor thank you for replying, here's hoping you or someone has an answer for me soon, I really like this jeep, she'll suit me perfectly for what I need her for, and I bought it knowing she needed a pile of work, I do not mind that, as long as I can get to the root of this problem..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 26th July 2019, 17:43

Sorry about the picture, this forum used to accept drag and drop but no longer it seems. You've got it right, there's a bearing inside the housing to support the inner shaft, it's pressed on with a hydraulic press and retained with a circlip. Don't know whether it can be replaced on-vehicle but I doubt it. They can last a long while even when they start going and they're usually poor liars ie if it starts getting really bad it'll let you know. If you google C7A15B05 for the D33 transaxle you'll see some pics.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 27th July 2019, 22:04 Thread Starter

Thks again Victor, it looks like it's gonna be a box out job...no way to pull the bearing in there, tho if I could remove it, i'm sure i'd be able to replace it in situ...but..
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 29th July 2019, 07:42

Hi Although you don't specifically mention it I assume you have checked the transfer box oil level ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page