Over accelerating when driving - Vauxhall Antara Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 30th September 2016, 14:31 Thread Starter

Hi all.Have a problem with my antara.Spanner light is on but no engine management lightwhen driving car it is accelerating on its own.Can drive without foot on acceleratetor pedal n having to use brakes to slow down to stop going over limit it also seams to be running rough but idling at 14000 revs n will stay at that.Only speeds up when driving.Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.2.2 diesel 12 reg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 30th September 2016, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John h
Hi all.Have a problem with my antara.Spanner light is on but no engine management lightwhen driving car it is accelerating on its own.Can drive without foot on acceleratetor pedal n having to use brakes to slow down to stop going over limit it also seams to be running rough but idling at 14000 revs n will stay at that.Only speeds up when driving.Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.2.2 diesel 12 reg

Idling at fourteen thousand revs? Did somebody fit a jet engine in it? Sorry J, just couldn't resist it.

Sounds to me like the accelerator position sensor switch could be faulty because it's a drive by wire system but you really need to get your fault codes read to see.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 30th September 2016, 18:55

Take it to a garage and get it looked at .its not normal

2017 1.4 turbo Mokka design nav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 30th September 2016, 19:15

Try cleaning theaccelerator position sensor switch with some contact cleaner, may be down to dust or dirty contacts happened on my old X trail.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11th October 2016, 17:57 Thread Starter

hi cleaning the accelerator ? were is this any idea ? want to try a quick fix i need to take to get codes done but when i drive car its trying to go on its own 14000revs lol ya last time i saw my car do that many revs it was a insignia eat itss own oil ran for ten mins made more smoke than space shuttle taking off
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12th October 2016, 19:13

Not sure on antara but on my other motor it was just behind the peddle under the carpet little box with a plug in to it.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12th October 2016, 21:49 Thread Starter

Thanks
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 2nd October 2019, 21:18

Any answers as mine is now doing the same
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 3rd October 2019, 12:31

can you get any live readings from the engine ecu , if yes have a look to see what percentage the throttle position is at , usually 0 its off 100 % its fully open and your around 5k rpm check throttle butterfly not sticking open . this will show if fault with throttle , check for air leaks .
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11th October 2019, 08:45

I had a similar problem with a mk1 sorento. It was my fault. I drove the car into an automated car wash with the sunroof on tilt, i didn't know it, but on this car the engine ECU is located in the passenger footwell which flooded with water. The water got into the ECU and the revs started elevating. Fortunately I lived close and got home using the brake. It was a big job to dry out. So if the thread above shows the throttle is ok I think this may be an ECU problem. Granted the ECU on a Antara is in a different location.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page