The Antara - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th May 2018, 02:22 Thread Starter

Hi all,funny one this i dont at the moment own a Antara but i am thinking of looking into one.I have joined the forum to learn as much as i can about them. My first and main question to you all is are they anygood and how reliable are they. My car at the moment is a insignia elite cdti 158 bhp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th May 2018, 09:30

They are a great car all you have to rember is the regen needs to be done .dont get a 4x4 .
The transfer boxes don't last and are very costly to replace .i had a exclusive 2.2 fwd for 3yr .great to tow with nice ride and comfortable.would have liked to have kept it but got rid of caravan .so did not need a big car got a mokka they are nice but still like the antara get one if you can

2017 1.4 turbo Mokka design nav
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th May 2018, 11:43

Welcome to the forum.
It depends on what you want the car for: if it is for doing the regular school/supermarket run then don't bother - they thrive on longer journeys where they get to the proper operating temperature. If it is for towing a trailer then they have a good reputation for this, at a reasonable price. Buy the latest one you can and from a Vauxhall dealer/Network Q if possible. The post-facelift models (i.e. after about 2013) appear to have had earlier problems addressed by the manufacturer, but be prepared for general ignorance on the part of the dealer - there doesn't seem to be many Antara experts about with regard to either sales knowledge or mechanical experience. Some of us have found direct contact with Vauxhall UK to be the best source of information. Beware of what previous owner(s) might have done to the engine and exhaust system through their short-term driving habits; if the DPF has been ignored then trouble will be brewing. As Swinton says, there are instances of transfer box failure on 4WD models (as with BMW, Land Rover, Kia, etc) but the reasons for this are not clear. The SE Nav model has most of the gizmos that people want these days and for a vehicle with a 2.2 diesel engine and weighing two tonne I am pleased with mine, returning about 35mpg average. If you get one, I suggest you stick with a Vauxhall dealer for servicing and repairs (join the VX Service Club) because they at least have access to the manufacturer in the event of a query. A recent one in good condition will represent excellent value if you are a buyer, but not if you are a seller, so you will possibly get best value by keeping it for a few years and following the maintenance recommendations by the book. Good Luck.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th May 2018, 13:48

Hi Yorkshire2160 welcome to the forum

There's a Antara being sold in sept by a forum member see link

http://www.antaraownersclub.com/foru...topic3755.htmlEdited by: Bigjohnsparky

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th May 2018, 22:40

Hi, Firstly I would ask how many miles a year do you do. If your only doing a low mileage, then I would suggest opting for a petrol version. I have never had a DPF regeneration problem. I know when its due and invariably I'm on the motorway and its sorts its self out. If your only doing a short mileage (as with many diesels) they will clog up causing management lights to come on. A very capable tow car, stable and reliable.

My wife says that I never listen or something like that !
2.2 diesel Diamond 63. Swift Challenger 580
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th May 2018, 23:05
Groupie

Just a shout for the petrol model. Had the 2014 petrol antara for 8 months now and no problems at all. Around town it's returning 25-30 mpg more on a run. We plan to tow in the near future but it is very smooth and comfortable. Being petrol and 2wd is relatively simple and servicing will be cheaper. Can't fault it at the moment .... Touch wood!

Antara 2014 2.4 petrol, now with cruise control
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th May 2018, 23:47

Had mine (2013 SE Nav 4x4 auto) for 2 years coming out of an Insignia SRI sports Tourer. As other members have said, if you only do short journeys then think seriously before committing as the DPF regens are a nightmare compared to the Insignia where I didn't notice one taking place in 4 years of ownership. Other than that, it is a big comfy car and surprisingly quick if you are in the mood. What you will really notice is losing lots of toys compared to the insignia as the technology is previous generation. It's a good tow car as long as you have deep pockets for fuel (1500kg caravan 22mpg Antara vs 28mpg manual Insignia). If you are serious about getting one (and they are a bargain) get from a Vx dealer and buy a Warranty.

2013 SE Nav 184 Auto
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 5th July 2019, 20:45

Hello all I recently bought a Vauxhall Antara 2.2 diesel 2012 this may sound a bit daft the car felt a bit stiff when pulling away like if you was to leave the handbrake still on is this normal? No warning lights on the dash it's the 4x4 version my apologies if I put it on the wrong forum regards Lee
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 13th July 2019, 11:24

Hi Leezos

I find the 2.2 diesel to be a very capable engine, but its pulling a heavy body and the 4x4 system add to this weight. Mine feels the same way when pulling away at low revs. The turbo kicks in at about 1500rpm and obviously needs to build up the boost pressure before the power comes in. If you pull away below this RPM the engine engine will struggle a little. I think this is normal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page