Another zafira fire - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11th July 2017, 14:32 Thread Starter

Just pulled into clacketts services on m25 and another zafira burnt out. I thought they had sorted out this with the recalls ffs I hope all got a replacement vehicle and didn't lose to much

Edited by: Bigjohnsparky

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11th July 2017, 14:42

Sad looking state isn't it, another family's life upset and left with a lot of trouble. Opinion seems to be the type of resistor they used to control fan speed was totally wrong because it got so hot in normal operation that it would bubble and boil water droplets if you dripped them onto it. There's a fuse to protect the circuit if it gets too hot but seems some owners were replacing the fuse with heavy wire or nails..

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11th July 2017, 14:54 Thread Starter

Yep I've seen a lot of fuses replaced with thicker wire even down to a house main fuse on the service head had a cut down 6inch nail. All works ok until a fault happens and the fuse doesn't give the protection it was designed for so cables start to glow like a electric fire
I was thinking regen and the engine bottom shield hasn't been removed/replaced

Another pic

Edited by: Bigjohnsparky

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11th July 2017, 18:25

So you think it was maybe a DPF regen gone wild and ended up looking like this?
PS Don't you think that looks just a bit like the Tin Man from the Wizard of OZ

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11th July 2017, 18:53 Thread Starter

Yes it does

Just shows how hot the dpf gets Edited by: Bigjohnsparky

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11th July 2017, 20:35

I had a Zafira prior to my latest bucket of trouble... It was a very versatile motor but suffered from poor gearing over 4000 rpm at 70 in 5th!! I had all the recalls done and can conform that the first recall was a check over where they checked that you had the correct resistor in place and the fan motor was not drawing too much current on the lowest setting (where the highest resistance was) that was a crap recall so they did another where they changed the resistor and if either the fan, wiring and or the pollen filter was dirty they would also replace that FOC. (the pollen filter sitting next to the fan and resistor was also an issue, they also fitted a crap bit of foam to stop the drips of water getting into the fan housing... That did not cure the issue and VX had to bite the bullet and do a proper and more expensive job. So the last recall meant All fans were replaced with a different type with drainage holes in them, and also a proper replacement body/scuttle cover was fitted which would stop ingress of water to the fan housing. That was the issue the fans started to seize up due to corrosion, that drew more current the resistor was not melting the solder and did not open, this then caused excess heat and the pollen filter would catch fire then you had less than 90 seconds to stop the car and get the family out....... VX tried to blame faulty resistor repairs, where the fuseable resistorwas disabled so it could not go open circuit. But when they realised that most of the fires were happening to cars with good resistors in and had been serviced only by VX they had to start taking the situation seriously. A Farcebook group did a huge amount of work in getting VX to own up and fix the issues.I was confident with mine once the final fix was done and if they were still making them I would buy another, as long as it had six proper gears!!!

2015 Antara 2.2 Exclusiv 2WD Manual 163 ps Carbon Black
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12th July 2017, 11:52
Groupie

Garage
Tried to buy a blower motor for a customer, but vauxhall told me they cant sell any because of the recall

I have gone to the other forum

http://antaraowners.proboards.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page